Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 AM   #1

Opinions needed quick please

Hi! New member here.
This seems like a pretty good deal for $7,500. I had never heard of Sportsmobile before. I'm going to look at it Thursday so any opinions, things to look out for, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

1997 Chevy Sportsmobile RV
Self contained Van type motor home built on Chevy 3/4 ton Van that has 14700 miles. The Sportsmobile top raises to expand the height to 6'10". It has been well cared for and is in excellant condition both mechanically and cosmetically. New Goodyear Wrangler 10 ply tires were installed only 1500 miles ago. It includes a micro-wave, refrgerator, sink with water and holding tanks, a porta-pottie, TVand beautiful all Formica cabinets and counter tops. An invertor is included A generator is optional. It will sleep up to four people and is ready now for a trip to Alaska. You will experience between 16 and 18 miles /gallon. This unit is hard to tell from new.

AfterglowBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #2

Re: Opinions needed quick please

Sounds a lot like they're pricing it as a van with 14K, unless that's a typo. A quick cusory search and you can find 97 Chevy vans for ~4K with ~200K miles. Seems too good to be true, but last time I said that it was real...

Old 05-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #3

Sounds like a steal, especially with very low miles. Please post pics.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Site Team

Here is the Craigslist link with pictures:

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/rvs/2408053007.html

It looks great and someone ought to jump on it immediately. However, being the skeptical person that I am, I often wonder about deals that seem to be too good to be true. I would carefully check the Carfax info on this one as well as see if it has a salvage title or any other hidden issues. And, if it doesn't, I would be whipping out the cash right now.

Good luck!

Mac
Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #5

I'm going to call the seller today and verify the mileage but the pics make it look new if they are current pics. It's an older couple in their 80's selling it. I thought it looked too good to be true also because the NADA on the van is around $6K.

I'm volunteering this weekend along with a few others to go BBQ for 1,600 of our troops at a local base this weekend and this looks like a perfect tow vehicle for my smoker.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
ith
It looks great and someone ought to jump on it immediately.
Mac
I'm not looking for someone to buy it out from under me. I'm asking for advice on what to look for. I've already arranged to see it Thursday but it's four hours away so I can't get there sooner.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #7

Go for it
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterglowBBQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
ith
It looks great and someone ought to jump on it immediately.
Mac
I'm not looking for someone to buy it out from under me. I'm asking for advice on what to look for. I've already arranged to see it Thursday but it's four hours away so I can't get there sooner.

AfterglowBBQ:

When I said "someone", I meant you. If I were you I'd put money down on it to hold it so no one can buy it out from under you. Look for possible body/carriage damage, rust, corrosion, etc. Smell for mold, rats, etc. Ask why it has so few miles. Ask where it has been driven and where it has been kept. Wonder whether the odometer has actually turned over. Ask for any receipts they may have for car work. Most receipts should give you the mileage. Ask how long it has been sitting. Check to make sure the the PH lifts up and fits properly.

Now, having said all that, always everything is fixable. So at the price, unless there are some serious problems, I think you should take the deal because it truly is a too good to be true deal.

Again, good luck. And let us know how it turns out.

Mac
Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #9

If it is anything like the photos, that is one of the best deals I've seen on a SMB, especially if you don't need 4x4. Like Mac said, do your due diligence and if that checks out you have a smoking deal. Plus, also to Mac's points, I assume it's a Chevy small block and those are very durable and cheap/easy to fix and cheap parts will be around forever.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #10

Sounds like a good deal to me. If you buy it, change all the fluids so you have a baseline and then enjoy it.