Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #11

Re: Oregon Vehicle License - what is an RV

But would State Farm calculate the cash/replacement value of your SMB using just the stock passenger van specs? For some insurance companies, hiding the fact it's an RV can be risky.

USAA said they could insure the value of a Sprinter cargo van and up to $5,000 of modifications. But considering the SMB conversion is at least half of the rig's price tag, it wouldn't come close. I went with an RV policy from GEICO.

Ned5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned5555
But would State Farm calculate the cash/replacement value of your SMB using just the stock passenger van specs?
This is one problem with State Farm. They don't do "replacement value" for passenger vehicles. They only do depreciated value, plus "up to $1,000 for aftermarket modifications". They don't even offer a replacement cost or state-value policy, or did not a year ago.

That said.... how you have your rig insured should be mostly independent of how you have it registered.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #13

I'm going to become a Oregoonian soon. Is it cheaper with insurance if it's a RV ? I have a SWB conversion.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #14

Walk in to DMV..tell them it's a van. If they ask what kind of van, passenger van. They may ask to measure it, but that's it. Don't mention RV, pop-up, etc. On your way. The DMV is packed and the agents are always in a rush(at least my experience in PDX metro area)...Do at your own risk(or not)...
frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote