Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #11

Re: Our 1 year of ownership report

I can't help it I envy anybody that spends more time camping than I do!

Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #12

I hear you~! My husband and I did the same thing...in about 3 hours of looking in SMB Huntington, IN.......we pick her up July 19. The two hour trip back to our home town will be the first drive!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Montana
Roonie posted:

Quote:
it is a big ticket item and a leap of faith as I have never actually seen one yet in person.
I still get a chuckle out the of the conversation in Fresno when we picked up our SMB. A young SMB West employee picked us up at the airport and we got to talking about cars, trucks and assorted vans.

He said: "I still can't believe that people fly in here, plunk down tens of thousands of dollars to buy an SMB without ever having driven one before".

I replied: "We just flew in here, about to plunk down tens of thousands of dollars to buy an SMB without ever having driven one before".
IndianaParkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaParkers
I hear you~! My husband and I did the same thing...in about 3 hours of looking in SMB Huntington, IN.......we pick her up July 19. The two hour trip back to our home town will be the first drive!!
The biggest surprise was getting used to how far off the ground we sat (feels like you can look over right into semi's now on the freeway almost level with them) and the more truck like ride over bumps. But once we got to camping we have patted ourselves on the back ever since. We haven't looked back since pickup and we look forward to our adventures.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #14

Roonie
Your post prompted me to open your gallery and I must say that Joann and I were flooded with many great memory's going back 40 year's of our family's travel's , especially photo number four of the bundled little body's in the Penthouse . I know that there will be many great adventure's to come .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorguy_724
"badonkadonk" lol, spit out my beer!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ok, maybe i am tired
someone wanna translate ( here or pm?)
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
someone wanna translate?
I like this definition best, from Wikipedia:
badonkadonk - onomatopoeic slang meaning the voluptuously bouncing, large yet firm buttocks of a woman

Brent
Old 07-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
Roonie
Your post prompted me to open your gallery and I must say that Joann and I were flooded with many great memory's going back 40 year's of our family's travel's , especially photo number four of the bundled little body's in the Penthouse . I know that there will be many great adventure's to come .
Greggde

The kids are perfect age for it right now ages 7 and 5. They absolutely love the van! We even sleep in the driveway in it on weekends sometimes when we are around the house. They get the PH and we get the bottom. There favorite thing is to look through the hole where the rear J-hook top clamp down comes through and stare at us from above. They think it is the funniest thing ever. Going to get warmer sleeping bags for them though. Planning a few longer trips with them this summer.

Zach
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Roonie posted:

Quote:
it is a big ticket item and a leap of faith as I have never actually seen one yet in person.
I still get a chuckle out the of the conversation in Fresno when we picked up our SMB. A young SMB West employee picked us up at the airport and we got to talking about cars, trucks and assorted vans.

He said: "I still can't believe that people fly in here, plunk down tens of thousands of dollars to buy an SMB without ever having driven one before".

I replied: "We just flew in here, about to plunk down tens of thousands of dollars to buy an SMB without ever having driven one before".

What's the alternative if you don't live near one of the plants?
Attached Thumbnails
letters-PhotoTriathlete.jpg  
jrporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter
Quote:
Roonie posted:

Quote:

What's the alternative if you don't live near one of the plants?
Find an owner who lives near you and check it out.
Invest a thousand dollars and fly to Fresno (Austin, Huntington) before making the leap.
Drive a standard van loaded with contractor gear for weight.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #20

I must admit that I had ridden in Ford passenger vans before purchasing an SMB, and had crawled around a work colleague's older model SMB in Montana, before I had the chance to visit Sportmobile Texas. But I had never driven one of the 4X4 beasts with all the geegaws in them before we picked up our Sporty in the Fall of 2006.

I didn't consider a test drive that important, compared to thoroughly researching the vehicles and options from both Sportsmobile Texas and Fresno and the old SMB Owner's Forum on Yahoo. Once we realized that the a Ford EB was the size and type of vehicle we wanted, then it became a matter of figuring out what sort of options we needed and could afford.

I also must admit that there's a hell of lot of more info available online on Sportmobiles today, primarily because of this forum, than there was in 2006.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote