Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #1

Our Big Decision

If this is not the right place for this thread, I apologize in advance and moderators please feel free to move this to someplace more appropriate.
So what's my question? Well, I'm new to the entire SMB process. My wife and I have made the decision that after years of working and not taking any vacations, we are going to sell our house and hit the road. This decision doesn't come lightly, we have thought and talked about it for quite a while.
If possible, I would like this to be a thread that will follow our entire process, much like a blog without the usual details that might otherwise be unrelated.
Our mission? To spend two years on the road full time using our SMB as our place of residence. Leaning heavily forward Ford (even though I'm a Chevy guy), and also leaning in the direction of new versus used. The first logistical hurdle is how to cut down the time between when we sell our house and receive our SMB since the he SMB will be funded by some of the money which we'll receive from the sale of our home. Anyway, I'll check back in a few days from now with an update.

Black Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #2

Welcome. I think you're in the right place. Why Ford over Chevy if you're a Chevy guy? The 6.0 Chevy Vortec is an amazing engine. I like Chevys too but have had 4 Ford vans due simply to price and availability (all used). I see no downsides to a Chevy. There are enough 4x converters and aftermarket support out there now to do whatever you want.

Unless you are a real minimalist it will be a hard transition. Most folks in your shoes still fee a little cramped full timing in a larger motorhome. I'm not disagreeing though. We plan to do the same in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Welcome. I think you're in the right place. Why Ford over Chevy if you're a Chevy guy? The 6.0 Chevy Vortec is an amazing engine. I like Chevys too but have had 4 Ford vans due simply to price and availability (all used). I see no downsides to a Chevy. There are enough 4x converters and aftermarket support out there now to do whatever you want.

Unless you are a real minimalist it will be a hard transition. Most folks in your shoes still fee a little cramped full timing in a larger motorhome. I'm not disagreeing though. We plan to do the same in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True enough. Our consideration of Ford was due mostly to availability of used. I currently own a 2012 Silverado 2500HD with a 6.0 that I am familiar and quite satisfied as to its performance and ride, even though its a work truck. Since your post, I have done additional research and we are now focusing in the Chevy direction, especially if new.
As I understand it, it looks like the Duramax option is going to be about $12k more when considering new. Don't know if the added MPG versus cost of fuel and up front cost is worth it. Im not towing anything, just carrying the usual bikes and kayaks at most. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I might stick with the 6.0L.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:32 PM   #4

Resale value, engine longevity, mpg, less upkeep, low end torque
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
I would think that you might find a van with a 6.0 for a better deal over a V-10 just because of the track record of the 6.0PSD. It's certainly a bargaining point. I've driven a lot of diesels during my work career and most all of them (Chevy Duramax, Ford 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, & the 6.7) have had more costly engine issues compared to the V-10 Ford engines we had. I guess it's important to mention that fleet vehicles do get abused more but they also received scheduled shop maintenance. Opinions differ but getting a Sportsmobile on the cheap with a 6.0 & then bullet proofing it might be an option. Then there's the thought of how far can you drive a gas powered vehicle for the price of maintaining and bullet proofing a diesel...not saying that gas engines are problem free. There are several 6.0 owners that have trouble free stock engines. Of all the Ford diesel engines, the 7.3 has the best track record but it gets poor mileage. It commands a higher resale price so owners selling them are using that to get a premium price.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #6

Garage
One way to cut down the turnover time would be to buy the van chassis in advance. Especially if you are looking at a Chevy diesel, it might take a while to find the right one, or order one.

Another idea would be to buy an inexpensive used camper van (probably gas) and start taking weekend trips, if you haven't already. Just to make sure you both like the lifestyle before spending $$$ on the new van.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:20 AM   #7

I agree with buying the van in advance, in addition I would find out specifically from each shop you are considering what their criteria is regarding getting your build in the que - one shop I spoke to told me my place in line depended on when my van was on the ground at their shop. That duration is currently eight months for me and from what I can see the wait has done nothing but get longer.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #8

Update

Busy few days. Thanks for all of your input.
Diesel versus gas: I will continue to study all of the aspects of this. I went online and looked at "Bullet Proofing" and was amazed at what was available. Frankly, I didn't even think that when you guys were talking about Bullet Proofing, you really were talking about the company and their process. Also found a website called Trucktrend that was helpful as well. I do like the appeal of the diesel thus far, more info to follow.
I also wanted to give you all an idea as to our transition plan. Along with looking at options of maybe buying a used camper as someone mentioned above (thank you), we are exploring the possibility of house sitting nation wide. We would use my truck for storage and transportation purposes. I may need to purchase a cap for the bed but I think everything that we would ultimately take with us should fit in my truck. So, we are looking into different housesitting websites and getting bonded etc. Ordering the chassis ahead of time would at least give us some lead time.
Last but certainly not least, I really like your suggestion about getting our feet wet before we take the big plunge. So I am heading over to the classified section to see about renting and or borrowing a SMB in our area to try out for a few days to a week.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #9

First I have to say congratulations! Second, I personally wouldn't discount used vehicles. The money saved could translate to years 3, 4, and maybe more. You might also decide to venture south to Central and/or South America. Happy hunting!