Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Outside light

I'm always in the sticks so I need a bright enough set of lights to cook by if I don't want to set up a lantern. The RV type lights are too dim for lighting up the site but I do like them for just getting in and out of the van. I've used the LED RV light with good success when my awning is enclosed.
Another thread going on a similar subject:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13506

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
A high mounted dispersed light, together with a low mounted dispersed light would be ideal IMO.

Herb
I posted this in the other thread...

Cheers,
Brent
Old 04-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

VisionX and I'm sure others make off road LED lights with dimmers. Wish I had one of those on the side. They're tough so branches won't do too much damage. I've been looking at mounting off the awning bracket.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #14

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
VisionX and I'm sure others make off road LED lights with dimmers. Wish I had one of those on the side. They're tough so branches won't do too much damage. I've been looking at mounting off the awning bracket.
You can dim any LED light with a PWM (pulse width modulator) dimmer. Couple of examples below. Normal incandescent dimmers won't work because they lower the voltage which has no affect on LED's, until you go below the threshold and they turn off.

http://www.amazon.com/Controller-Dim...rds=led+dimmer

This one can easily be taken apart. I used the internal circuit board and knob only, no need to install that huge housing.

http://www.amazon.com/Dimming-Contro...rds=led+dimmer

Old 04-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #15

I installed this LED strip. It's encased in a silicone-like clear rubber and is self adhesive on the other side. Just stuck it right under the rain gutter. Came with a remote and can change about 20 colors and has a dimmer. Works perfect!

I consider myself a half-assed perfectionist
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Quote:
You can dim any LED light with a PWM (pulse width modulator) dimmer. Couple of examples below. Normal incandescent dimmers won't work because they lower the voltage which has no affect on LED's, until you go below the threshold and they turn off.
Well it might depend on the light. Strip lights are a different beast from what I've been told and the drivers in my lights might not work with a dimmer like that. I guess you could replace the drivers but once you open any of the lights like I have, the warranty is void for the product. Not good on lights costing 200 to 1500 dollars. I want dim to blinding light on what I already have. But I'm no engineer and only going off what others plus the distributors have told me.

I'll admit the strip lights are nice looking Ron. I have them in my steps and like em.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillvanin
I installed this LED strip. It's encased in a silicone-like clear rubber and is self adhesive on the other side. Just stuck it right under the rain gutter. Came with a remote and can change about 20 colors and has a dimmer. Works perfect!
Got a link to that strip...very cool

Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #18

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Quote:
Well it might depend on the light. Strip lights are a different beast from what I've been told and the drivers in my lights might not work with a dimmer like that. I guess you could replace the drivers but once you open any of the lights like I have, the warranty is void for the product. Not good on lights costing 200 to 1500 dollars. I want dim to blinding light on what I already have. But I'm no engineer and only going off what others plus the distributors have told me.

I'll admit the strip lights are nice looking Ron. I have them in my steps and like em.
Don't think you need to take anything apart. The dimmer goes in between the on/off switch and the light bar.

Battery ----factory on/off switch----PWM dimmer----LED

That's how I hooked up my side mounted square lights. They are 27w. Nothing fancy like Rigid but I doubt that the high end lights are wired differently. Better to check with the mfg first though.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Sorry Ron but it's above my knowledge. I just don't want to experiment. Buy me one of those bar lights and tell me if it works

Old 05-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillvanin
Got a link to that strip...very cool
Thanks Daveb -I bought it at a local RV supply dealer. If I can find some info on it I will post it here.

I consider myself a half-assed perfectionist
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote