Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #11

Re: Overnight at Walmart in penthouse top?

Quote:
I agree that sleeping in Walmart is not camping but some times when your going long distance's it sure is a nice safe place to crash.
The Walmart parking lot in Flagstaff is NOT a safe place to crash.

Why would anyone assume that Walmart parking lots are a safe place to crash? Usually they are not in the best section of town.

jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #12

Ive never had a problem doing this but double check. Its a. at the discretion of the store manager, and b. some cities have laws about sleeping in a vehicle outside of a campground even on private property. They tend to be of the mindset that if you can't afford a house, you don't belong in their city. Nevermind the fact that if you stay temporarily you would likely buy fuel, buy food, and buy other goods that would contribute to the city's revenue.
bburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:16 AM   #13

Sometimes you might be driving 10-12 hours in a day. You just want to get off the interstate and crash. Often a Walmart has a lot of nice large RV's camping there. I think it *can* be safer than looking for a spot in the forest when you are dead tired. I don't make a habit of camping in parking lots, but once in a while it is just fine.

If you are scared sleep with a 12 gauge.

I also use my SMB for tailgating in parking lots at football games. Is that a wrong use of this vehicle?

Ok, I'm tired.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
Sometimes you might be driving 10-12 hours in a day. You just want to get off the interstate and crash. Often a Walmart has a lot of nice large RV's camping there. I think it *can* be safer than looking for a spot in the forest when you are dead tired. I don't make a habit of camping in parking lots, but once in a while it is just fine.

If you are scared sleep with a 12 gauge.

I also use my SMB for tailgating in parking lots at football games. Is that a wrong use of this vehicle?

Ok, I'm tired.

steve
Ditto on all points. Sometimes, a Flying J parking lot looks pretty good after a long day's drive FROM someplace beautiful and remote TO someplace beautiful and remote. I'm from the city, too.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvest
I camped on the edge of the parking lot at the Walmart in Nelson, and they still ran us out in the morning.
Better than a ticket. In Highlands Ranch there is an ordinance that I ignored for two nights, and the third I spend somewhere else as I was moving around Denver shopping for a rental. I returned the next day to see some ticketed RVs right where I'd been staying.

Down in Castle Rock on the other hand there are what look like permanently parked trailers, sliders out and everything they appear to be permanent fixtures, and with the snow only one of the four has tire tracks as though someone is staying.

Generally if there is more than one other RV or truck I don't worry about staying at a Wal-mart. In smaller towns where it's the biggest thing going they're often used for cruising and burnouts all night on the weekends, but while annoying the RVs are just a backdrop that's ignored.

I'm very much a point A to point B guy, and camping along the way is usually a non-starter- I never know how far I'm going to get, and going hours off the Interstate is not productive. About less than 35 more years an I can retire and take my time getting places...
Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #16

A little off topic (never stayed at a walmart). While in Waterton NP all the campgrounds were full so we stealth camped on a random turnout off an access road right next to a sign that said no camping. We didn't raise the PH and my wife slept on the floor in front of the refrigerator (RB50) and I slept in the bed with the two kids. No problem and we left first thing in the AM. Not something I would like to do all the time but it works.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #17

If i just need a place to sleep after a long day and I'm too tired to fuss, I will try church or walmart type parking lots. Truck stops are usually a bad choice because they run the refers and generators all night. Very loud.
R
Old 02-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #18

Walmarts are ok with it for a nights stop driving through to your destination. It brings in business for them.
Free vs $25-$30 for the RV parks.
This link says no pop-up trailers...

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuse ... 157571.cfm
Old 02-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
If i just need a place to sleep after a long day and I'm too tired to fuss, I will try church or walmart type parking lots. Truck stops are usually a bad choice because they run the refers and generators all night. Very loud.
R
I keep ear plugs in my book shelf...
Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

I have stayed in Walmarts twice that I can think of where we used the PHT. No Problems. I agree with Steve, sometimes after a looong day you just want to stop and crash and Walmart works well.

I have never had a problem and never been asked to leave. It us usually pretty obvious if overnighting is allowed by the number of other RVs.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote