Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2021, 06:06 PM   #11

Native Floridian...I've done the cover thing with cars (much smaller than the van) and what a pain in the ass that is. Can't imagine EB van size cover just putting it on and off would mean the van can't be a daily driver. Correct, a cover on dirty/dusty paint is counter productive for sure. Materials are somewhat better now than when I did it, but when you get off work and it rained a hour ago now you got a 50lb wet rag that fills half the trunk...then what do you do with it when you get home.
I got a 25'x50' "carport" for the big stuff and of course the cars are in a garage. For me its just one of those things you got to do. I wouldn't even park my 375,000 mile Honda Accord outside. The rain water falling thru a Oak tree destroys paint in no time.

2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #12

I have a 2013 E350 with high top, roof heat/AC, solar panels and thule racks. Also have 4" lift. My total height is exactly 120".......They wouldnt let me go in Glacier on the Highway to the Sun or Needles Highway in Custer State South Dakota, had to catch rides with others....Love being able to stand up at any time.....But i put up an open sided "car port" with ground power for storage that works fine here in New England. It's 12' x 12' and 25 feet long.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #13

Thanks -- good data point.
Still waiting to hear from the HOA about the garage raise. Someone sent me a suggestion on garage door openers requiring less clearance above the door (Liftmaster 8500w). Will investigate further if we get approved.
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #14

Garage
Taller Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Good morning van people,
For my "new" van I will need to increase the height of my garage door opening by a lot to fit it, and it still may be close. (may have to choose between garaging it and having a rack, and a winch may be out due to the length axis anyway.)

What have been your experiences parking the van full-time outside? In terms of impact on the undercarriage, paint, and interior?

The van is a '13 E350 EB (southern state origin), and I'm planning to spring for raptor lining on the top when CCV puts the mid-height top on in a couple of months. I'd also be interested in real-world height measurements of similar builds:
E350 EB, Expo van 4x4 (6" lift), mid-height CCV top, plus full-length expanded metal CCV-installed (brand?) rack. I want the rack for stargazing, etc.

My guess so far is: 89 inches (as measured from a RB Expo Van 4x4), plus 3 for the additional height gain due to the EB / angle, plus 12 inch for the CCV top, plus 6 for the rack=110inches.

But, I don't know if the CCV adds a true incremental 12 inches. (the SMB top appears to be 6 in, but I think only adds less than that b/c of the stock crowning.

My only experience with full-time outdoor parking was that the paint of my light-colored 1988 GMC Vandura conversion van eventually started flaking off all over from rusting underneath the factory paint at the 15-year mark.

Sorry if this has been covered-- I search a lot and couldn't find much except for battles with HOA's etc.
I have a 2017 Transit SMB with a Penthouse top. My previous home in NH had a taller garage opening so my van fit in which was essential in the frigid northern NH climate. A year ago we moved to Massachusetts and our new home only has a garage with a 7’ opening, so after a year of outdoor storage where my white Transit got covered in leaves and all the other debris that falls off our oak and maple trees I decided to enlarge the garage door opening. I like to keep my van clean, I hope to keep it for a long time, and it’s too hard to wash it every week in New England’s climate. We spent $1500 for a new door and another $1500 for labor and materials to install a new header for a taller opening. Our carpenter did a great job; no one can tell we expanded the opening, and I have to say it was worth every penny!
bidgoodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #15

In a garage. Out of sight, out of mind.

Depending on where you live - if they see it on the street they may steal it...or at least steal the catalytic converter.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #16

Update: I got approval for increasing the height of the opening from the HOA, and have completed the work-- required a side-mounted Liftmaster garage door (I think there's just one model out there-- the wifi one, minus wifi for me).

For anyone following / wondering, mine is 110 inches tall, which should just barely fit my E350 with "6 inch" lift of Expo Van 4x4 conversion, 33in tires, and (hopefully soon) CCV pop top with rack.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:19 AM   #17

I was able to squeeze the van into the garage after the height increase of the doorway (even with the CCV top and a rack). I wish I had power-fold mirrors, but other than that, very blessed to be able to get the thing inside at night.