Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #11

Re: Penthouse fabric repair?

well, I got a patch from Pete @ SMB West, which is awesome and thanks Charlie for that tip The piece matches the color nicely, and is a little thicker than the original, as jage suggested might be the case...I think it'll work nicely. Pete @ SMB suggests Superglue Gel, but the Loctite website says that's not for repairs requiring high flexibility, which the penthouse top does a lot of, and especially since I'm going to patch both sides so it will be 3 layers at that point...I'm thinking I need some flex in there. By the way, the "gel" part doesn't mean it stays gel-like when cured, it just means it doesn't drip when applied to a vertical surface...woohoo. Wanderer suggests convertible top glue, which seems to be a good idea. Is that like a silicone? Speaking of which, how about just a straight silicone cement, of which I already have a tube?
Thanks much so far

2WD, 302 V8 w/Fuel Injection
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
Site Team

You might find this useful.
How to Make a Permanent Patch on a Torn Tent

Shorter version:
Quote:
The glue recommended by tent rental companies is called Barge Rubber Cement, made by the Quabaug Corporation. It can be purchased at Ace Hardware and most hardware stores. Barge Rubber Cement stays flexible in just about any conditions you tent is likely to encounter, and over long periods of time.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #13

alrighty, back from a 3-week journey to the OR/CA coast...the Edsport got into some nice camping spots..

I got the patch job done right before I left. I used the fabric provided by SMB and the Barge Cement. It's basicly a contact cement that stays flexible over time, but it is a little yellow in color so you have to be careful about any cement sneaking over the edge of the patch. I patched both sides, using a larger piece for the outside patch...that way both patches didn't line up on the same edge. I thought that might even out the stress on the penthouse fabric a bit. I was able to remove most of the ceiling screws to lower the ceiling pieces a bit and then was able to move and center that trim piece. I put a dab of silicone and a screw at each end into the wood behind. Also, with the ceiling pieces lowered, I was able to tuck the top of the patches up and around very nicely. BTW and FYI, the only thing holding the penthouse fabric to the roof are the ceiling screws, so I had a little saggage there with a bunch of screws taken out. But I was able, with help, to get the thing tucked back in and secured. And, as an added bonus, the penthouse curtain, even when rolled up, completely obscures the inside patch!
all in all, I would say a successful repair thanks to all you folks...much appreciated and happy trails.
2WD, 302 V8 w/Fuel Injection
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #14

I would use Seamgrip. It's available at most outdoor stores and is made specifically for fabric. That stuff can patch a hole that size with no fabric if necessary,but if you use it with a patch you'll have a repair you never have to touch.
playVT is offline   Reply With Quote