Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #1

Penthouse fabric repair?

Hi folks, glad to be aboard the SMB forum, hopefully my first post of many. I have a small tear in my penthouse roof, up near the top, caused by one of the interior trim pieces which shimmied its way over and through the fabric. It looks like a relatively easy fix but I'm not sure what the tried and true patching method is. Does anyone have any (good) experiences with this? Has anyone seen tan patches?
thanks very much for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof tear1-sized.jpg  

2WD, 302 V8 w/Fuel Injection
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #2

Re: Penthouse fabric repair?

get some convertable fabric glue (autoparts store will have it)..and just find a patch somewhere...glue it and try and put pressure on the patch so it soakes up the glue..then leave it to dry overnight..yer all set!!

85 E250 Turbo 6.9 vegiburner
92 explorer (well the vin tag and body skins are anyway)
09 jeep wrangler unlimted...for walmart wheelin!!

nothing scares my wife like my boredom and a welder!!
wanderer351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #3

Send SMB West an email asking for a small repair piece of fabric. I had a small wearing pattern that I wanted to reinforce. SMB sent it free of charge. I fixed the cause of the wear problem so never had to actually install the patch but was just going to use fabric adhesive as noted above.

Contact Peter Del Toro
p.deltoro@sportsmobile.com
(559) 233-8267
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #4

88 might not have the same material- that looks a little more like art store canvas, like you would do an oil painting on. I wonder if some kind of canvas boat patch is available?

I think I'd patch from both sides too.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #5

thanks boys, I sent an email to SMB West today per Charlie56's suggestion, and whaddyaknow, Pete DelToro sent a reply saying he would gladly send me a canvas patch. Also said to use superglue gel to attach it. So i guess I'll wait and see if the color and texture (sort of) match and go from there. And yes, i agree with jage that doing both sides would be the way to go.
Now if i can just figure out a way to slide that trim piece back from whence it came so it doesn't migrate out again, I'll be all set...it's always something, ain't it?
thanks mucho folks, this is such a great forum for all things SMB. I think I've read almost every topic...woohoo.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edco
Now if i can just figure out a way to slide that trim piece back from whence it came so it doesn't migrate out again, I'll be all set...
Without seeing it in person, a couple of thoughts. I'm guessing that the trim is in the shape of back to back "S" shapes so that the "tongue" slips between the adjacent pieces of paneling. If you have a Dremel motor tool and a wood cutting blade (if the trim is wood, a metal cutting blade if it is metal), you should be able to carefully saw the end nearest the fabric down just short of the paneling and then slice out the rest of the trim with an Xacto knife. Lacking a Dremel tool, check at a hardware store that carries them and just buy the saw blade and mount it in a cordless drill. Both would work but the Dremel would give more precision since it is lighter. Another option but not as elegant is to force the trim back some and secure it with a wood screw. You might be able to loosen the screws holding the paneling in place to allow the trim to be shoved back.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
Site Team

SuperGlue is great, but seems to dry very stiff. For a small patch, this might be OK, but you may also want to consider a fabric glue. I'll have to doublecheck with my wife, but I don't think it dries stiff, and I also believe it is designed to survive washing machine cycles.

Herb
Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #8

Yes I was thinking that myself, but I haven't tried Superglue "Gel" before so not sure what that is like...prob gotta do some research before I try it. I was thinking something like seam sealer or silicone based cement that stays flexible might be better, esp. since I live at 7000 ft., where we got 3 inches of snow last night and it's still coming down!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #9

Thanks for the tips, Jack. I have a cordless Dremel (which I love). The trim piece appears to be in the shape of an I-beam, where the two wood ceiling pieces but into it and there is plastic above and below. I can get the top part dremeled out but getting underneath is tricky. And, of course, getting the ceiling pieces off for a re-do would require completely undoing the roof mechanism to get at...go figure on that. I've tried sliding the piece over but it's in there pretty good and it's hard to get any leverage on it without making the tear bigger...which I did, unfortunately. So that option appears out. I've already trimmed the piece back about 1/2 inch, to where it is in my picture. It's not sticking out right now, so maybe the best bet is to leave it and make a point to check it regularly for further migration? Not the ultimate solution, but maybe the least destructive. It's definitely a poser.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #10

I wonder if there is not tension, or not as much, on the I piece when the top is down. If you get it situated you might glue it, or put a few brad nails in to keep it from migrating too.