Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #1

Garage
Penthouse in high wind

Happy Thanksgiving to all! We'really camped on Red Lake, a playa in SW Arizona. The wind started cranking pretty hard a while ago, 15-25, gusting higher. I turned the right into the wind. We'very got maybe 40lbs in the Yakima rack on top plus solar panel. Also have 2 sticks helping to support roof. Not an electric PH.
Anyway, got to wondering how much wind a penthouse can take. Your experience and wisdom are welcome.
Oh how I hate autocorrect! I turned the rig into the wind.

Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #2

We always put the drivers side facing the wind so that we are not fighting it when we go in and out of the barn doors. Not sure what max wind speed is but we have had no problems with 20-30 mph sustained with higher gusts.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:51 PM   #3

The worst wind we have had was while camping on Newfoundland at Cape St. Mary. Lots of wind gusts coming from all directions. Did not sense a problem with the penthouse (we have corner supports so the scissor mechanism really was not taking the load but the top canvas was taking a lot of it). My wife found it very uncomfortable sleeping with the gusts hitting us like a hammer. So we lowered the top and slept down below. Significantly better. So our limit is us not the top.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Been in winds about 40MPH. I think SMB says 50MPH but I'd think that is a top with nothing on it. Pointing into the wind helps provided it doesn't change. I always worry more about something flying into the top such as a limb off a tree. I will say it's somewhat hard to sleep with all the buffeting. Helps if you crack PH windows but sometimes that just isn't possible.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:30 AM   #5

I have an 1999 SMB penthouse with no mods to my knowledge and have never had any trouble in high wind. Not sure MPH but have been on top of of high canyons in heavy wind and no issues. We have have a roof rack with a Yakima box with about 30lbs of gear usually.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #6

Similar experience here.....manual SMB top, 3 solar panels up there...

Have slept about a half dozen nights with the wind howling here and there; I pull the top down mostly because I'm a light sleeper and the buffeting keeps me awake.

Hungry Valley OHV park has been the most wind several times, even with the top down it feels like I'm sleeping on a boat the van is rocking so hard....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote