Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 12:51 AM   #11

I have a pretty hard rule of always latching the top immediately (at least the front latches) when I put it down, even if I know it will be going back up later. Sometimes it’s a pain, but I don’t trust myself to remember before I drive off at a later time.

I’ve often thought of rigging up some sort of electronic latch circuit that would buzz if I start the van without the latches secured. Seems like it would be easy enough to do. Both my PH hook latch and latching baseplate are metal, so a low-voltage circuit of some sort could be set up, I imagine, that only is activated when the ignition switch is turned to “on.”

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:59 AM   #12
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
The popping of the top at HWY speed just happened to our new owner/manual penthouse friend...after she pulled to the shoulder got the top down (which is a another miracle in itself/no damage), then cleaned all the poo that left her, she latched it and left...we told her of our method and now it is part of her routine...

I posted this method somewhere on some thread BUT, AFTER bending poles for forgetting to unlatch the top (2x separate AND after we repaired it $500 2x lesson @North, yes hard to admit the stupidity, but we both did it, luckily in a way) here is our FOOL-PROOF SOLUTION:

VERBALLY, even if you are by yourself (it will help you remember), SAY, as you unlatch EACH hook, "Touching hook ONE," then the OTHER person/you REPEATS, "Touching hook one." Then, "Touching hook 2..." and so on...SAME PROCESS as you leave/pack except replacing the verb ' touching'with "Latching hook 1..." It is so effective and now we are used to it as part of our pull in/pack out routine....
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #13

I have a small "Remove Before Flight" tag that I attach to the steering wheel when I raise the top. I then remove it and snap it around the latch behind the driver's head once the top is back down. Drove off a couple of times for a short distance when it was new to me and then went with the flag process. Works.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #14

Garage
This is seemingly one of those areas where having somewhat-neurotic levels of OCD are to your benefit.

When I drop the penthouse roof....and before I drive off.....I think I must have to subsequently **touch each closed latch at least two or three times** and **physically shake/rattle them each a bit in my hand** (to actually FEEL them closed....and thus be better certain in my mind that I didn't simply IMAGINE latching them down....)

Keep those lids on, guys and gals!
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
SMB told me 50MPH. I'd expect the load on top of the roof would be a factor that might lower the rating. I've got stuck in high wind and it's best to try to set up in the winds direction to provide the lowest profile. I'm much more worried about flying debris slamming into the canvas or screens.

After bending my bars, I look as the top lifts to make sure the hooks are pulled down straight and don't hag up on the eyelet. That didn't make my day.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
This is seemingly one of those areas where having somewhat-neurotic levels of OCD are to your benefit.

When I drop the penthouse roof....and before I drive off.....I think I must have to subsequently **touch each closed latch at least two or three times** and **physically shake/rattle them each a bit in my hand** (to actually FEEL them closed....and thus be better certain in my mind that I didn't simply IMAGINE latching them down....)

Keep those lids on, guys and gals!
Actually laughed out loud reading this! And now there are two...
Have to admit I also religiously tour the outside perimeter of the Van; pull on both swing arms, check the propane door latch, a quick scan to make sure all the lights are off, and a brief inspection of undercarriage to make sure I have no sign of fluid leaks.
Call it overkill??? I'm compelled to follow these rituals for peace of mind.

before passing judgement, I have been know to wear socks that dont match...
Old 04-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
I have a small "Remove Before Flight" tag that I attach to the steering wheel when I raise the top. I then remove it and snap it around the latch behind the driver's head once the top is back down. Drove off a couple of times for a short distance when it was new to me and then went with the flag process. Works.
We do this as well, and do the same for the electric, water, & awning. We're still new at the game and don't have a pack-up routine yet. it's all kinda random...

Matt
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #18

I do two laps around just as I do when I fly. I do a preflight then walk around one more time before I sit down and head out.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Great minds think alike! That's the same exact method I use. Your "Remove Before Flight" phrase is a nice touch.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:34 AM   #20

Garage
Always thought these were a good idea.

RVminders: Safety warning system for RVs

A little spendy for what they are until they save you from a costly mistake
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penthouse, wind