Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Penthouse in the wind

Funny, the higher the wind the more it puts me to sleep unless I'm worried about damage.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #12

Penthouse in the wind

I love the way the van rocks in the wind.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #13

Another benefit to the power PH. I'm not going to say that the J hooks are superfluous, but it's comforting to feel that the top is going to stay down no matter what. Then again, you can rip your anchors off by putting it UP without undoing them, or so I've heard.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
I damaged my van due to wind.

But it wasn't the penthouse per se, it was the crossbar spanning the top of the van just behind the driver's seat, where the top latches down. The thing is part wood, and the upthrust of the top in the wind gust pulled it up and broke it.

It occurred as I was driving US 50 in about 50 MPH gusts at about 65 MPH; wind apparently got under the front of the penthouse via those runnels in the Ford cab roof. It pumped up the canvas like an airbag, which jacked the whole penthouse up several inches (the back latch held).

Rob
I have a Ford van with the ribs and have driven in high wind with no ill effects. Could the front latches have been loose? Or something (mis-folded canvas or?) kept the top from coming all the way down to the van roof?

You'll have to excuse my engineer's mindset, but the airflow should be over the penthouse and not down into the roof ribs. Unless the top was up an inch or so and the entire front was open.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
I have a Ford van with the ribs and have driven in high wind with no ill effects. Could the front latches have been loose? Or something (mis-folded canvas or?) kept the top from coming all the way down to the van roof?

You'll have to excuse my engineer's mindset, but the airflow should be over the penthouse and not down into the roof ribs. Unless the top was up an inch or so and the entire front was open.

Mike
Securely latched. The fabric may have been folding just in half at the front; I had noticed it puffing out into the interior of the van subsequently, and could even feel air coming through the zipper. Now I make sure it's folding more accordion-like. I've plugged those runnels and have no air at all now.

Conceivably the top may have bounced up a bit, but since it was latched it couldn't have been even a half inch.

Try pulling your fabric in the front all the way back as you put down the penthouse and then drive and see if you get any air coming in.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Try pulling your fabric in the front all the way back as you put down the penthouse and then drive and see if you get any air coming in.
Just for the record, I can't move my fabric in front once the top is down.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

I do the karate chop on my front canvas but ever since they put the rack on the top, the top edges have not set down the same as it did W/O the rack. I too will have to block the channels or it will bellow in the wind. I plan to limit the size of the channel but not block it all the way. I'd still like it to drain if needed.

Rob have you had any problems with water pooling after you installed a dam on the channels?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #18

I noticed the next day that I could not get the top up when I had everything closed up tight. Now that we've moved on to the subject of the tops opening while driving, wouldn't the vacuum help keep the top down?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
I noticed the next day that I could not get the top up when I had everything closed up tight. Now that we've moved on to the subject of the tops opening while driving, wouldn't the vacuum help keep the top down?
Your vent system is the first thing that negates that vacuum, there's been discussion about using it to keep the dust out. There are also a bunch of holes and seems where air leaks, and while static there might not be enough to allow the top to go up easily, with all the different pressures while driving I wouldn't count on it acting the same.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #20

I left my top unlatched (pulled down, non electric) once and drove several miles at 55+/-, and no movement happened in the fabric or the top. The only reason I knew it was unlatched is the little squeek the swinging latches made. I can't see how it is possible for air to come in the runnels and inflate the top and lift it, especially if the front curtain is zipped... I can't move my front fabric at all with the top down. But, my experience is limited, and facing a huge headwind, I can see how sometimes, well, shyt happens.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote