Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2021, 04:19 PM   #1

Penthouse Latch Cover

I purchased a Sportsmobile RB 50, penthouse, 2wd, V8 new in 2003 when we retired. We have averaged three months a year traveling in the van. The van currently has 180,000 miles.

April, 2018 we had Sportsmobile replace the canvas and screens, add an electric lift and solar panels. This was a great change. We should have done it sooner.

May, 2019 I was distracted and when I raised the top and one of the latches became reattached and I bent the penthouse tube. Sportsmobile was able to rebend the tube.

October, 2020 I again raised the top and one of the latches became reattached and bent the penthouse tube. Sportsmobile was able to rebend the tube but said that if I bent if again, they might have to replace the tube and that was a big deal in time and money.

I felt really stupid when I bent the tubes. Turns out I'm not the only one this happens to. I met several owners in the waiting room who were there for the same reason I was.

I made a penthouse latch cover to prevent bending the penthouse tube. The cover is made with three pieces of 1/2" baltic birch. The hole in the middle is the size of the latch. There is a rare earth magnet in the center that holds the cover in place. So far the cover works great.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3650.jpg   IMG_3651.jpg   IMG_3652.jpg  

carln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #2

Garage
I had read about this possibility several times, but was confident that since I had been forewarned (after reading the accounts) it would never happen to me...until one day one of my latches caught. Fortunately I realized very quickly and didn't end out bending any cross bars.
As you, I was going to find a way to protect myself...fun to see the different approaches people take to achieve this resolve.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[/url]
Old 08-08-2021, 11:03 PM   #3

Remove Before Flight tags stay on each latch with the top up or down as a reminder to keep aware of them. a rubber band keeps them out of the way when not actually hooked.
Attached Thumbnails
rubber_band.jpg  
Old 08-09-2021, 09:22 AM   #4

Snomad has the best idea -- I "always ?" turn my hooks around opposite to attachment so they can't reattach !? SO FAR !! ??
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:42 AM   #5

I've had mine accidentally catch twice in 17 years. First time it ripped up the wood over the cab (fixed with wood screws, bolts, and glue). Second time I caught it earlier.

Old 08-15-2021, 02:08 PM   #6

pop top latches

On a quick side note for the pop top latches --

Years ago Sportsmobile had a safety fix for the latches which involved installing a seat belt for each latch. Essentially you have the u-hook and a seat belt attachment to do for safety. I notice none of the pic in this thread have had this done.

BTW - We did forget a latch once, bent it going up and Sportsmobile West sent the tools to fix it. We used them and then shipped back. We did not get it 100% straight so it is slightly lopsided but no issues since then. And it wasn't me that did it initially ....

Kelly
Old 08-15-2021, 02:34 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgtnt View Post
... And it wasn't me that did it initially ....

Kelly
We will require confirmation from your significant other before accepting that... awaiting your next post.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:36 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carln View Post
I purchased a Sportsmobile RB 50, penthouse, 2wd, V8 new in 2003 when we retired. We have averaged three months a year traveling in the van. The van currently has 180,000 miles.

April, 2018 we had Sportsmobile replace the canvas and screens, add an electric lift and solar panels. This was a great change. We should have done it sooner.

May, 2019 I was distracted and when I raised the top and one of the latches became reattached and I bent the penthouse tube. Sportsmobile was able to rebend the tube.

October, 2020 I again raised the top and one of the latches became reattached and bent the penthouse tube. Sportsmobile was able to rebend the tube but said that if I bent if again, they might have to replace the tube and that was a big deal in time and money.

I felt really stupid when I bent the tubes. Turns out I'm not the only one this happens to. I met several owners in the waiting room who were there for the same reason I was.

I made a penthouse latch cover to prevent bending the penthouse tube. The cover is made with three pieces of 1/2" baltic birch. The hole in the middle is the size of the latch. There is a rare earth magnet in the center that holds the cover in place. So far the cover works great.

Carl
Carl,
this is a very handy tip and diagram. I think we are going to borrow this for exactly the same reasons you mention. Thank you for sharing this.
Amy
Amy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #9

Amy,
The covers have worked great for us. They are a little insurance against damage. We keep them in the pouch behind the passenger seat.
Carl
carln is offline   Reply With Quote