Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #11

Re: Penthouse pop top repair ideas?

I would think any quality Corvette or Ferrari shop could repair the tops to an exceptional quality that would never crack, peal (or leak) again. Never leak, as long as it's not the seal or material that's the issue.

I seen the quality glass work that my local Ferrari shop does, it's outstanding and not as expensive as you might imagine. You just need a shop that understands how to fix fiberglass in the reverse order to how it's made, and in my experience, that's usually Corvette and Ferrari shops. But a bad fix won't last long at all.

BTW, if the top clear coat is cracking, it was either the wrong clear used, bad fiberglass and/or gelcoat work, or the top is flexing too much, which would indicate bad install.

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

I avoided walking on my roof but was at SMB when they took a picture of about 12 people standing on the roof (not mine). SMB claimed it didn't hurt the top but while I was up there waxing my roof I could hear a cracking sound. Later I was told it was the insulating material under the fibeglass. Still I didn't like the little hairline cracks but never got any water leaks from them as far as I know. Where I did see problems was the yakima tracks that I had removed. Before I had my raptor lining sprayed I told SMB to make sure all the holes were sealed and gel-coated over. I wonder if thats a standard practice with adding the new coating to old tops? I actually don't know what was done but asked to have it sealed.
On my bass boat, hairline gel-coat cracks don't seem to leak but an impact type hit will add a spider web type crack that look wider and might wick moisture or leak.
I also would ask a fiberglass shop and a boat shop might be even cheaper than a vehicle repair shop.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #13

Sorry to hijack this thread. For those of you with the new Raptor coating, does the coating cover the roof hardware (bolts etc.)?
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
Sorry to hijack this thread. For those of you with the new Raptor coating, does the coating cover the roof hardware (bolts etc.)?
Good question, I've wondered that myself, though now that I type this, I recall from Jage's new solar panel install it doesn't. Is that always the case?

Herb
Old 06-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #15

Thanks! I just went and looked at Jage's gallery and it does not cover the bolts up.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #16

I would make sure to remove hardware and then coat. You never know what you might need to remove the hardware to make a repair or what not. Ask any mechanic that has worked on a car with undercoating. Doesn't make the job easier because they spray everything down. In fact I would coat the top and leave a "spare" set of washer over where the washers and nuts install. then after the top has cured I would take that "spare washer off and install fresh butyll tape and new hardware. This way the tape sits flat against gel instead of the imperfect layer of raptor liner.
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote