Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2016, 02:20 AM   #1

Penthouse roof differences

So, I was just doing what I usually do when I am bored at midnight, search the web for Sportsmobiles, and SMB type builds and I came across this one.

**** 2006 FORD SPORTSMOBILE WITH PENTHOUSE TOP VAN **

Something caught my eye though. The profile of the roof seems lower, sleeker if you will, than the others I usually see online. Not sure if this is all in my mind or if there is actually a difference. Which naturally leads to the next obvious question. What changes to the penthouse roof has taken place over the years? When did the shapes change? Re-enforcement added? How did it improve the top? Are there hardware changes/improvements? When was electric lift added as an option?

Czar308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
It's probably the "G" model which was called a garage model or possibly a smooth surfaced PH top. During my build they had the G model, standard Penthouse type models, the Voyager high top and the Cruiser high top which was the biggest of the bunch. I don't know if the G type is still offered. The Cruiser has been changed over the years and at one time (possibly still) the standard PH tops were offered as a smooth top as opposed to the ribbed top that has channels running front to back. Not sure but I think the G top only had a smooth surface but I could be wrong. I do know that some members can fit more bedding between the PH bed and top when lowered than others.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #3

I am familiar with the two tall roofs, but don't remeber the "G" roof. I wonder if anyone has any side by side photos to compare the two. Can't seem to find any reference to it as well.
Czar308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #4

There may be some minor PH top differences between Fresno, Indiana, and Texas....

IIRC, someone contacted Nancy(??) at SMB indiana and she gave a good history of the various pop tops.....it's in a thread here somewhere......and includes the garageable top.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #5

Heres the link to the thread that boywonder mentioned...

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tion-7879.html
Old 02-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #6

I had a post about this top a little while back, but here is the post specifically about Nancy's comments.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...html#post75218
Ben10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #7

Damn, took a phone and come back and was beat to the punch!! Gotta love this place!
Ben10281 is offline   Reply With Quote