Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #11

I was just going to post this question, but it looks like the agreement is 250#. I've got a Yakima box full of stuff but doubt it exceeds 200#. Unfortunately just pulled into camp after driving 2000 miles away and one side of the poptop stops after about 12". It's the opposite side that the box is mounted on. There's a clunk sound and then it stops, the other side attempts to continue.
I'm about 300 miles from SMB in Indiana so will probably stop by there tomorrow but wondered if anyone else has encountered this or had ideas?
Ughhhhhh

lauraduffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraduffey View Post
I was just going to post this question, but it looks like the agreement is 250#. I've got a Yakima box full of stuff but doubt it exceeds 200#. Unfortunately just pulled into camp after driving 2000 miles away and one side of the poptop stops after about 12". It's the opposite side that the box is mounted on. There's a clunk sound and then it stops, the other side attempts to continue.
I'm about 300 miles from SMB in Indiana so will probably stop by there tomorrow but wondered if anyone else has encountered this or had ideas?
Ughhhhhh
I talked with Peter at SMBW the other day. He says 150 for Fords is the official number but they have been known to lift more. Mercedes won’t go higher. The symptom you describe is how he said the motor would act if overloaded.

I’m going to end up close to 200 with my fingers crossed. Please let us know what Indiana says.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
...I talked with Peter at SMBW the other day. He says 150 for Fords is the official number but they have been known to lift more...
I find it interesting that "standard" has changed...and a little concerning.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #14

I just took everything out of the box, and it still won't go up. Left a VM for SMB, hopefully they can take a look tomorrow ...
Old 06-24-2020, 09:51 AM   #15
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I find it interesting that "standard" has changed...and a little concerning.
I didn’t ask Peter about our different numbers as my notes from our purchase in 2011 said 150. At the same time, your experience says the motors can lift more and Peter didn’t say they couldn’t. Your real world experience is what I (we?) look for on this forum. If my motors can’t carry the load I’ll find another packing scheme.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
I just took everything out of the box, and it still won't go up. Left a VM for SMB, hopefully they can take a look tomorrow ...
Keep us posted, please.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #17

Good news. SMB Indiana was able to fix the poptop. One of the pins had slipped and bent, and was locked in the track, preventing the bars from moving. They had me out in about 20 mins. Didn't bat an eye at the box on top, and didn't indicate that the symptoms were a result of weight.

Nice guys, and some gorgeous vans getting fit out...
Old 06-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #18

That's great news on the quick fix to your top. I have a 2010 E350 with the electric motor. I run a very slimmed down Aluminess rack with a Kyocera 95 solar panel, and two smaller AluBox. I've never had a problem with it.
parisdakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #19
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Good news. SMB Indiana was able to fix the poptop. One of the pins had slipped and bent, and was locked in the track, preventing the bars from moving. They had me out in about 20 mins. Didn't bat an eye at the box on top, and didn't indicate that the symptoms were a result of weight.

Nice guys, and some gorgeous vans getting fit out...
Good news. I’ve heard about the pin issue before. Glad that’s all it was.

Don’t get too carried away by the new vans. :-)

Old 06-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #20

Were there verified collapses of the SMB penthouse tops? People seem highly concerned, but it seems mainly if they are loading the roof close to or beyond the recommended weight limit.
parisdakar is offline   Reply With Quote