Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2021, 01:34 PM   #11

So many good suggestions, thank you guys! I was driving myself crazy seeing it get pinched. Also had an incident where the pinched fabric caused the rubber seal on the pop top sort of roll off the attaching rivet.

I'll take her slow, tighten up bunjees, open doors (wish i had a fan to suck the fabric in) !

adamwcordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #12

I agree with jd. I lower slowly and pull the sides (R side on my van) in by hand. I have noticed if the van is off center there can be some pinching.
2003 E350 7.3 SMB
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #13

We have always left the shades rolled up, and have never had a pinching problem. When we purchased the van from SMB West, they instructed us to stop the lowering about 2/3 to 3/4 down, then put fists in the the front corners of the fabric to push forward and slightly out. This basically stretches the sides taunt and helps create the folds on the sides.
BACKRDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:38 PM   #14

As others have suggested, you may need to tighten the outside bungee cord around the top, too.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:50 PM   #15

BACKRDS is correct I was given the same instructions in Sept 2003. The issue is my girlfriend (of 20 years) Is only 5'0" and she can't reach the corners, So I'm looking for a new girl friend (still 5 foot) but with longer arms.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:39 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE View Post
BACKRDS is correct I was given the same instructions in Sept 2003. The issue is my girlfriend (of 20 years) Is only 5'0" and she can't reach the corners, So I'm looking for a new girl friend (still 5 foot) but with longer arms.

You are either a brave or stupid man for put that thought into print.

Funny, but brave and/or stupid.

Herb
Old 01-09-2021, 05:29 PM   #17

Garage
I must have read the post submitted by HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE differently...was I mistaken when I concluded when the "search" ended he would now have TWO girl friends??? Admittedly I was a little envious - since Nothing suggested getting rid of the first.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:27 PM   #18
Orv

Garage
I owned two (2) VW Westfalia conversions before I got my Sportsmobile and they had the same problem. Actually, worse, because they didn't have bungies. It was pretty much mandatory to walk around the van and stuff the canvas under the top before latching it.

I roll up the shades and leave the bunk in the 'night' position (but nudged forward a bit so I can reach the rear latch.) I open a door before lowering the top so air can escape, and bring it down slowly. It *usually* doesn't pinch, but occasionally it will, especially if I'm on a slope and the top isn't quite centered. I also have an issue where my latches aren't very tight anymore. I need to find a way to shim the plates to stop the rattle.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:00 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
I also have an issue where my latches aren't very tight anymore. I need to find a way to shim the plates to stop the rattle.
FWIW: The long "j" hooks that screw into the bracket mounted to the top can be tightened. If however you have already tightened them to the end of the threads, you can just unscrew them and bring them to a machine shop to add additional threads (I've had to do this).
Old 01-10-2021, 10:00 PM   #20
Orv

Garage
Mine are an earlier design that doesn't appear to have threads, unfortunately.