Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Re: planning a trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by racrx451
thanx for your input.. I think Im going to buy the isolator from blue sea and a bunch of 1/0ga wire and go to work. just trying to figure out how to get it wired correctly...especially how to wire the generator in for backup/charge.
Personally I'd veer away from a diode isolator and look at the magnetic latch type relay or even a standard separator. As I posted earlier, Blue Sea's 7622 ACR is very well built and has manual full control function capability on the unit itself. It can also be paired with the external control if you want to spend the extra bucks. I did and am glad I installed it. SMB is now using these in most all of their builds but without the external control.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #22

so you would do this?? http://bluesea.com/files/resources/inst ... 180180.pdf
racrx451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #23

any idea what size fuses I should put inline for the power wires? 300A?

battery? blue top optima? better choice?

found a blue sea ACR that I will probably buy.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage

Like I posted, the 7622 has full control on the unit itself. That is a nice feature. Mount it where you can reach it. The remote control switch makes it possible to visually see if the separator is open or closed. That's also a great feature.

Sure power also makes voltage sensing separators, but I had a lot of trouble with mine. Others have used them with good success. They are priced much cheaper.

Intellitec Makes a great simple disconnect switch but it doesn't work automatically to tie the banks together when a charge is applied.

SMB doesn't install fusing on their builds or at least didn't on mine.

The fuse or breaker needs to be speced to the size wire, size battery bank and the load. I would install a 300A fuse if you plan to use 4/0 copper bus wire. The fuse has to be heavy enough to handle the load of a microwave, but using the house battery to jump start the vehicle could pull more than anything else. You don't want to blow a 150 amp fuse. The fuse is more there to prevent a fire during a direct short rather than protecting equipment.

I've never been able to find a 300A 12vDC breaker

For batteries there are several thoughts... none right or wrong.
Several small batteries can be easier to replace due to their size and weight, but more connections means more chances of trouble. Also one bad battery could kill the others when banked together.

A single 4-D or slightly larger 8-D might be all you need. With AGM batteries, they shouldn't drop below12.2 v by morning. I like to run my microwave at night w/o running the engine so I have two 4-D's. I prefer Lifeline or Concord (both are from the same Co) but Deka and Odyssey put out a good battery as well. There are others I don't know about. I'd stay away from Universal unless i got a real good deal.

A buddy of mine is looking at 6v AGM golf cart batteries.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #25

thanx Dave! I appreciate it.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #26

So, i got the battery installed before our trip to Cali with a nice blue sea isolator w/remote switch...now I bought a 15 watt solar panel (should gone bigger but I can add more)... Does it matter which battery I connect the solar to? With the isolator on auto it should charge both the start battery and house battery since that's what the alt does...right? I purchased a solar charging monitor so it doesn't over charge the system but can I leave everything hooked up when the vehicle is running? Thanx.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

A 15 watt panel? What kind of controller did you end up with?

That is a very small panel and will only supply a light trickle charge. It will probably never overcharge a house battery and starting battery when connected and will be more useful as something that maintains the system when the van is not in use. Don't plan on it supplying enough to run a refrigerator if you have one.
Really you should match the size of the panel for the battery size(s) and the calculated load. In other words, it's better to have enough panel wattage to supply a little extra charge in full sun when something like the refrigerator is running.

On most builds the panels connect to the house side. Once the battery is up to about 13.2, the separator will combine provided the starting batteries are not too low and begin to charge them. It is possible that the separator will switch back and forth during the charge until the starting battery system is full up. The alternator will charge your system much quicker.

When the vehicle runs, the alternator will cause the separator to tie the start and house batteries. The solar will be fine continuously connected.

I'd think about purchasing a 50 watt panel minimum for your system and would actually consider about going larger like around 130.