RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #11

Garage
Re: Planning to purchase soon. Here come the questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeek33
Are you going to use the van as a Daily driver?
Not daily, but probably 1-2 times a week plus trips.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInLA
Regarding Quadvan: ...Though I don't have this in writing, John described their warranty policy like this: If a Ford technician determines that the repair would have been covered under warranty if the vehicle was an unmodified F-350 truck, Quadvan covers the cost of the repair.
You're not paying peanuts for the 4x4 conversion. I would insist on getting that in writing. Yes, my experience with Quigley has been that bad.
The Quadvan policy is exactly my experience with Salem-Kroger, who also adapts stock Ford F-350 components onto the E-350. None of the dealers I've dealt with have had an issue working on the van or the front axle. And all the parts (seals, gaskets, brakes, etc.) have been right on the shelf at the dealership. Modified or non-OEM parts has been my biggest concern with a Quigley conversion and makes me glad to have a conversion by Salem-Kroger - and I would feel the same about the similar conversion by Quadvan.

I would trust either of them to make good on their conversion.

Mike

SMB Trailer w/AT Air Suspension
Alaska to Key West, Labrador and more
130685 miles 16.65 mpg average

Prostate cancer survivor. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11099
2015 VW GTI
Leaving CA for WA
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
The Quadvan policy is exactly my experience with Salem-Kroger, who also adapts stock Ford F-350 components onto the E-350. None of the dealers I've dealt with have had an issue working on the van or the front axle. And all the parts (seals, gaskets, brakes, etc.) have been right on the shelf at the dealership. Modified or non-OEM parts has been my biggest concern with a Quigley conversion and makes me glad to have a conversion by Salem-Kroger - and I would feel the same about the similar conversion by Quadvan.

I would trust either of them to make good on their conversion.

Mike
Mike-

Excellent, glad to hear it. I just wouldn't want one of my peeps to have to go through what I've experienced with Quigley. In the end, I got the work done with them and got charged $250 for shipping, but it wasn't easy for an easy job replacing the whole transfer case (NP-261HD, BTW). Sorry to .

Best-
Steve
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #14

Steve, I would second the notion that you shouldn't discount the concept of purchasing used. We purchased a 2006 EB50 SMB Diesel this year with 12,000 miles on it and it was essentially as good as new. Actually, one could argue that it was better than new, because several manufacturing/assembly quality issues had already been discovered and fixed by the original owner, and we didn't have to deal with any of that hassle and stress. I also came to realize that the original owners had put in countles hours stressing over the actual build design, working with SMB on the build, arranging the pickup, etc. The vehicle that we bought didn't have all the options we would have wanted, but I have been slowly adding options such as a ladder, stereo, and solar myself at my own speed/budget.
I realize that people just like new stuff, but the potential cost-savings of buying used could be a powerful motivator; I got a new quote from SMB, and figured out that buying a comparable new vehicle at SMB new would have cost almost $50,000 more, when figuring-in CA taxes, etc.
I toured the SMB Pre-owned sites and I was surprised to see the limited selection, and that in this economy, the asking prices have held-up. Of course, there are probably fewer V10 4x4's out there than diesels for you to choose from, but I've been seeing more and more SMB's listed on other sites, eBay, etc. so it pays to search around. Good Luck.
Yubariver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #15

I have heard many others complain about Quigley serviceability.

Quigley uses a Ford Front axle, but that's about it. The axle is modified, and suspension components are all Quigley built.

Ay dealer stocks the F350 parts QuadVan uses.

QuadVan is a qualified ship-through modifier. You can now purchase your QuaVan through any Ford dealer in the country.

I also agree converting after Sportsmobile is the way to go, so dial in the vehicle dynamics right.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #16

Buy a used unconverted RB or EB V10. 3 yr old vans like that can be had for $12k and up. I paid $15k for my 05 with 36,000 miles on it in 08. Many are lease returns in superior condition. Sales tax on that purchase was about $1200.
There is no sales tax in Oregon so whatever you have Quadvan do will be free of that expense.
Sales tax on a brand new SMB could top $10k!
Reading your posts brought back all of my fond memories leading up to the day my wife and I drove away from Quadvan with our van. This forum was instrumental in all of my decisions and I have zero regrets.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
.....Sales tax on a brand new SMB could top $10k!.....
Ours topped off at around 12K w/ licensing!!! I could have bought a brand new small car to tow around.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:13 AM   #18

CA sales tax can be avoided if the van is registered and SHIPPED to Oregon.

It was a no brainer for me when I got my van. Pay $600 for shipping vs CA sales tax.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #19

Garage

Thanks for all the great feedback. Though many of you advise purchasing a used vehicle either as a base or as a finished camper, my gut tells me that I won't be happy going down that road. If this was my first foray into the world of van-conversion camping, then I could see buying used to test the waters, but it isn't. I have a clear vision of what I want this vehicle to be and I am fortunate to have the budget to make that happen. I have spent a few months combing the used car and rv sites as well as eBay and Craigslist and everything I have seen would involve more compromise than I am willing to make. To be 100% sure, I am holding off until December 18th to actually place the order. It means that I won't see the finished product for about 9 months, but until a few weeks ago, I wasn't planning to do this for another 8 years, so I am coming out ahead.

As far as avoiding CA sales tax, I am all for that, but this will be a vehicle registered in California, and Arnold wants his money. From the DMV website:
Quote:
California law prohibits residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards.
Since it is going to Oregon for the 4x4 conversion anyway, any accessory that can be added there will be added there thus avoiding the tax.

To put it lightly, I am "stoked". In my mind, I am already camping in the middle of nowhere. Soon that won't just be happening in my mind.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #20

My dilemma, as well.

I am finally close to actually getting a SMB or Quadvan. My past experience - Jeep Wagoneer guy who swore by leafs front and rear and was used to riding the iron sled. The last four years a happy Tacoma owner, with upgraded leafs and coils. I want the van, though!

Thing is, I really can't go above 40k and even that is an awful lot.

So, there's a used SMB at the SMB North side, but it's got Quigley drive. Also has a SMB job, but I don't like the cruiser top and it's got minimal stuff that I like.

There's the one in Truckee - the cheaper one for 37k, but it's an 11 year old. Only has 40 thousand miles and is gasoline, which I prefer. That's tempting. I was really drooling over the one in Tucson, it had everything I wanted - a real heavy 4x4 package with lockers, bigger gas tank, two spares (something I always carry. this was huge). It was unfinished on the inside, but it made me think that I could do that part slowly, on my own or afterwards. I'd have bought it, had SMB West install the pop top, then finish it in a year or two when I have more money. Only problem is that they told me it's been sold already.

So I have been thinking about Quadvans. Spoke with them today and they seemed very decent. Have some used vans in stock and I could get one of their work vans converted for a little over 40k. Can I get a new one, V10, and get it converted for that much, though?

My plan again would be to get the pop top and a front aluminess - I hit a deer once and always want a heavy bumper - then finish the inside down the road.

They only have diesels at the moment, though.

I drove delivery trucks for years and, while I liked the old Ford diesels, I think I'd prefer gasoline here.

I'd love any thoughts, ideas, opinions. I thought if I were spending even 30k, I'd get a great deal, especially if I get a bare interior, but it doesn't seem that way, especially for a low miles van.

I'm in NYC, but have resigned myself to getting one out West.