Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #11

Re: Dear Ford people, please convert me. :D

I think around 05 the V10s got the 5-speed tranny (5R110). Previous to that it was the 4R100. As pointed out in a previous older thread the 5-speed is actually a 6-speed under certain conditions.

FWIW, I have 2 passenger E350s. A 2WD w/5.4 and a 4WD w/6.8. The V10 van despite being heavier has a much better mid-range and can scoot better than my lighter V8 van. Both vans run 3.73 gears.

As others have pointed out already you should try to hold out for PW and PDLs.

Good Luck,
Ray

my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Dia

Thanks, Ray!

Re: axle ratio - this one is a 4.10. The window sticker says "4.10 ratio regular axle x32." In addition to knowing nothing about transmissions, I also know nothing about axle ratios. I hear you guys talking about limited slip and full floaters and I have no clue what any of it means.

Does the 4.10 have any particular import for my intended use as an SMB?

Note: I'm reading up on these things in between responses, not just relying on you guys. What you guys have that the interwebz don't is a specific knowledge of how this stuff affects SMBs.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #13

.. Just noticed. Van also has manual mirrors, likely one piece instead of two piece. Having more mirror in a vehicle this size can't hurt .. you should be sure those mirrors will be adequate for your driving needs.

I have the smaller 2 piece mirror on one van and the big extendable tow mirrors on the other van. Both are electric .. If they were manual they would a gigantic pain to adjust. (Just my 2 cents.)

Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #14
Dia

I don't have my heart set on this vehicle yet, but Ujoint Chris seems to think the deal is pretty good, so maybe it's good enough to be worth dropping a few bucks here and there on things like a kit for retrofitting the PDL/PW, and maybe the mirrors.

I'm not thrilled with vinyl seats, but those will be replaced eventually, and I do like the vinyl floor. Easier to clean.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia
Thanks, Ray!

Re: axle ratio - this one is a 4.10. The window sticker says "4.10 ratio regular axle x32." In addition to knowing nothing about transmissions, I also know nothing about axle ratios. I hear you guys talking about limited slip and full floaters and I have no clue what any of it means.

Does the 4.10 have any particular import for my intended use as an SMB?

Note: I'm reading up on these things in between responses, not just relying on you guys. What you guys have the the interwebz don't is a specific knowledge of how this stuff affects SMBs.
The window sticker indicates that the van has a 4.10 rear axle (differential ring & pinion) ratio. IMHO, this is probably the best ratio for an extended-body van, especially once it's loaded with family, gear and built-out the way you want it. "Regular" means that it is not a limited slip.

Rear differentials are designed so that when you go around a turn, the inside wheel can turn slower than the outside wheel. It really needs to in order to prevent the tires from chirping. Make sense? This can be a downside though, as only one wheel gets traction at any given moment. That's okay on pavement (unless you're drag racing a 6.0 liter V8 Chevy 3500 for pink slips between red lights ). The limited slip will attempt to distribute power to BOTH rear tires and direct power to the wheel that isn't spinning when traction is lacking, hopefully to get the vehicle moving.

Limited slips use clutch discs and a friction modifier in the oil to achieve this. A locker is more mechanical. ARB Air Lockers use air to drive a coupling together. Detroit Lockers (probably not what you want) use a completely mechanical setup to join the differential internals together. Most of the folks seem to think that the Ford factory limited slip is adequate for most vans. You can always add an aftermarket limited slip at a later date like a True Trac or similar.

Full versus semi-floater is another axle feature. Full-floaters are known to be more robust and in the event of an axle shaft failure, you can remove the broken shaft and keep driving as the wheels are supported by the bearings. Semi-floaters have the bearings actually pressed onto the axles as one unit.

That's a great looking van that you found! Looks to be super clean, low miles and a lot of nice equipment. You can always add a traction-aiding device to the rear differential at some point. Power windows? It's just the fronts, and if you are dedicated, look for a wrecked van with power windows and swap the parts over!

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #16

Garage

Our old van had manual doors, windows, and mirrors. When I was younger this didn't bother me much. When we were recently doing our current van, I ONLY considered chasis' with electric accessories. I think it would be very expensive and difficult to retrofit power door locks, windows, and mirrors. It may not have cruise control? That might be easier to retrofit.

As far as engine, if the van won't get a high top, heavy conversion, or tow anything, the 5.4L engine should be perfectly adequate, and should get 2-3 mpg better mileage.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #17
Dia

Thanks, lndshark and dhally!

The van will be getting a poptop and a staged interior build out that's likely to involve homebrew. I doubt we'd do a 4x4 conversion, and it's hard to say how extensive the interior work will be from where I sit now.

In the beginning, we'll be using this for weekends, spring break, trips of 1-2 weeks during the summer. Eventually, we'd like to be able to do trips of six weeks or more, but that's a ways out.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #18

It has cruise (speed) control. Says so right on the invoice.

dia: can you confirm that is the actual invoice for that van? Might not hurt to ensure the VIN matches-up. You can find an invoice/sticker for just about any car on the 'Net.

Sorry...my profession makes me jaded to such things
Old 01-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #19
Dia

I got the window sticker from the VIN in the ad, not from the seller, and I plugged it into the window sticker look up below. Only way to confirm past that is to verify the VIN myself if I go look at it. I'm in CA, and the van's in Pocatello, so if I end up going, it will be with an intention to buy.

I'll call the dealer to check on vehicle history and whatnot. Since I have the VIN, I can order a CarFax, too. Just not ready to pay for one, yet.

Here's the handy-dandy VIN-to-window-sticker thingummy I started using back when I was checking out the Flex as a potential tow vehicle. It works for all fairly recent Fords, not just the Flex http://www.fordflex.net/misc/window-sticker.php
Old 01-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #20
Dia

Called the dealer & talked to the owner, a nice man who sounds like he's in his 70s. Vehicle is a lease return out of Nevada, formerly used for worker transport by a construction company, but the Nevada thing means no rust. The dealership specializes in farm and construction vehicles, incidentally, so it's rare for them that California Sally comes sniffing after one of their trucks. To that end, the dealer gave me the VIN and told me to call Ford to make sure the van had CA emissions. Ford says yes, at the time it was manufactured, it met CA emissions.

The window sticker just says "50 states" though. Am I missing something? Is there supposed to be another sticker somewhere on the vehicle that I can ask the dealer to look for?

Ford told me that the the CA DMV will pull up the VIN and see the same thing the Ford guy sees, which is that the vehicle is eligible. Does that sound right? And that's the word he used - eligible.

If I want a CarFax, I'll probably have to get it myself, which I'll do if I get serious (and I'm inching toward serious).

Oh - and at every step, including with Ford, the VIN checked out as the same year, color and engine as it's supposed to be, so if something hinky is going on, it means the guy has TWO gold V10 E-350s for that year.