Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #21

Re: Dear Ford people, please convert me. :D

50-state emissions = CA emissions. They call is 50-state now because OR and WA, and maybe a few other states, have adopted CARB requirements for new vehicles.

Sometime mid-2000 Ford made that package standard across the E-series line.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #22
Site Team

As long as it's a used vehicle, it doesn't have to be CA emission equipped, as long as it will pass the sniffer test.

I know for diesels, it has to arrive in the state with over 7500 miles on the odometer to be considered used, I can't imagine it would be different for a gasser.

Herb
Old 01-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #23
Dia

OK, so as long as it passes smog, I'm good on emissions. Thanks, guys!
Old 01-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #24

BTW - I wouldn't get too worked up over the Rollover issue.

1) There's not statistical significance between the rollover rates among brands. That's why the studies don't break it out.

2) Van have a lower rollover rate and overall loss rate than most other high-profile vehicles. Vans more so than other vheicles are actually much more stable than the look because most of the mass (frame and powertrain) is lower than other vehicles of similar profile.

3) Any vehicle is only as safe as its driver, and conversely nearly any vehicle can be driven safely.
[youtube:2p1is30a]
Here is a study on vans and tires:
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809846.pdf
Here is a recent update to the original data:
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/810947.PDf
Attached Thumbnails
Figure 1 Roll Rates.JPG   Table 3 - veh type.JPG  
Old 01-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #25
Dia

Very cool, carringb - Thank you!! This eases my mind considerably.

The inexperienced driver thing worried because, well, that's me, at least as far as these vehicles are concerned. I've driven a minvan, a few SUVs and I did fine in a small moving van, but my DD is a Prius. The 350/V10 could eat my Prius on a skewer and still have room for lunch. There'll be an adjustment period for sure.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #26

This may seem silly at first, but the best way to become a better driver is to learn how a vehicle handles at its limits (that, and actually driving instead just being along for the ride in the driver's seat). You sound like the perfect candidate for some track time! Look up local racetracks, most of them have auto or racing clubs which offer driving lessons. I guarantee that after a day at the track, you will be infinitely safer as a driver than before. You probably won't be alone in the large-stock vehicle category either. Full-size trucks are not uncommon on drive-days.

And... you might just have some fun while you're at it!
Old 01-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #27
Dia

Re: Dear Ford people, please convert me :D

Pulled the Carfax. It's clean.

Corporate vehicle kept 3 years on the nose and sent to auction when the warranty expired. No accidents.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #28

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
This may seem silly at first, but the best way to become a better driver is to learn how a vehicle handles at its limits (that, and actually driving instead just being along for the ride in the driver's seat). You sound like the perfect candidate for some track time! Look up local racetracks, most of them have auto or racing clubs which offer driving lessons. I guarantee that after a day at the track, you will be infinitely safer as a driver than before. You probably won't be alone in the large-stock vehicle category either. Full-size trucks are not uncommon on drive-days.

And... you might just have some fun while you're at it!
^^^ great advice right there, and i especially agree with what i bolded. knowing the limits of any vehicle you drive is never a bad thing.

id say you could try autox as it would be cheaper, but quite a few regions wont allow a vehicle with such a high center of gravity. ours would, but i cant speak for regions local to you.

ive been racing autoxs and hillclimbs for 15 years and it was really different learing to trust the van. i still feel like its going to just topple over if i get to aggressive, but the vehicle has been pleasently surprising me with its handling capibilities, especially when loaded.

we also have a member that lives about 10 min from that dealer. if you wanted a set of non biased eyes to take a look at it, he might have the time. if i was closer, or headed in that direction anytime soon, id offer in a heartbeat.

good luck regardless, it looks like a nice clean rig to start with.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #29
Dia

Re: Dear Ford people, please convert me :D

Wow - I was just about to start another post and ask if we had any members thereabouts. I'd be happy to PayPal that member a little something for his time.

Re: driving lessons - I agree. It's good idea. I'll look into it.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #30

Re: Anybody in Pocatello? :D

BTW - I just re-read your post I noticed nobody addressed the longevity issue... (I know you already have made up your mind, but in case you have any doubts...)

The V10 doesn't even need maintenance until 100,000 miles, aside from an oil change every 7500 miles once a year.

Under severe use (like Repo truck service), the V10 can make it 500,000 miles with proper maintenance. Under lighter use, the Triton motors can go over a million miles.
http://www.millionmilevan.com/

If I manage to get any vacation time, I may hit 400,000 miles by the end of summer, and I drive mine extremely hard. I'm not afraid to let if cruise at 5,000+ RPM up mountain passes, and I tow up to 18,000 pounds with it, including taking it on steep trails fully loaded.

Granted, any powertrain can have problems. Most of them on this forum with the V10 seem to be related to aftermarket security systems. I have had a few age-related issues, but nothing that's side-lined the van or kept me from getting where I want to go.