Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #41
Dia

Re: Anybody in Pocatello? :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
... my pop. 25k Tennessee town!

My mother's people are from Maryville (and Caryville, up 75). If you're nearby, we're probably related.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #42
Dia

Re: Pocatello test drive report

I have to give a big shout out to MKRyan, who just got up on a cold Saturday morning in Idaho to test drive my potential van. He is a prince among men, and a fine example of everything that makes this forum great. I tip my hat to you, sir, and you have my deep and sincere thanks.

Now for the report: The van looks good, with a few cosmetic things that are normal for the age and miles - the cig lighter is missing, as is the cap for the 12V socket, and the vinyl floor liner has come up a bit at a corner where it transitions from the cab to the passenger area. Nothing major. Seems to be a non-smoking interior.

Tires are new. Not just new-ish, but brand new. E-rated Bridgestones. Not expensive, but adequate. Van starts fine, sounds fine, runs fine. BUT...

A couple of idiot lights came on during the test drive. One was the throttle control light (a little wrench) and the other was the CEL, followed by this one: (!). Mike started and re-started the van to see if they stayed on, and they did. The (!) is supposed to indicate 'limp home' mode, per the manual, but he says it wasn't limping, it was driving strong and normally. Ditto for the CEL. Light on, but seemed fine otherwise.

Dealership has their own garage, so they're looking at it. I'll call them closer to the end of the day and see what they found. Depending on what it is, it may not put me off, tho. Might just mean I dodged a bullet and now something gets fixed on their dime instead of mine.

Again, my thanks to Mike. It would have sucked big time to go all the way to Idaho and have those lights come on while I was test driving it myself (wold mean staying extra nights while they resolved it), or worse, while I was driving it home.

Anybody recognize the idiot light problem? Feel like offering opinions?
Old 01-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #43

Re: Pocatello test drive report (p.3) CEL came on

Too many possible causes of CEL's. Most likely somewhere between a loose fuel cap and a serious engine issue.

You really need to scan the computer to get the codes. When the dealer gives you the codes, then we can tell you possible causes.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #44

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Run a Carfax on it to make sure it's not a total or buyback.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #45
Dia

Re: Carfax - got one (AutoCheck, actually). It's clean, good title, no accidents and jives with everything the dealer has said so far. He's got his mechanic on it now, and says he'll keep me posted. Probably won't hear til Monday, though.

This was a construction vehicle out of Nevada, though, which means wind, sand and dust. It wouldn't be too surprising if stuff (valves, sensors) was gunky and needed to be cleaned.

Mike (Ford_6l) is right tho - won't know til the codes come in.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #46

That combination of lights almost always means the Throttle body is sticking. The newer vans are all drive-by-wire, and too much dirt and/or oil in the throttle body can cause stiction. If the position commanded does not match the position sensed, those lights all come on. It can sometimes be fixed with some carb cleaner (watch your fingers.... the throttle body can take them off it actuates!) but sometimes the entire assembly requires replacing.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #47
Dia

Thanks!! I hope that's all it is when the report comes back.

ETA: Monday evening and no news yet.

ETA Weds. afternoon: Van is back at the dealer after a $140 repair. Doesn't sound too bad, but I'm waiting for the right person to be back in the office for more details.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #48
Dia

Re: the continuing saga of the Pocatello V10

OK, here's where we are.

The dealership sent the van out for a small repair ($140), but the gentleman I spoke to doesn't know exactly what it was, and his son, who does, is at an auction in Vegas and won't be back until tomorrow. In the meantime, they're holding the van for me.

I want to cross check what codes were thrown, what the repair was, and have someone drive the van for a couple of days to make sure that CEL isn't going to pop right back on when I'm 60 miles down the road. Hubs won't give the final OK until we have the details on the repair, and that's where I am, too.

Mr. Foltz the elder said it was "some little transmission thing," but that sounds off given the lights that came on. Mr. Foltz the elder isn't web or email savvy, so everyone's hands are tied until Mr. Foltz the younger gets back from Vegas.

So, we're still up in the air a little bit, but assuming all of that works out to the good, I think we'll have a van.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #49

Re: The continuing saga of the Pocatello V10

Good things come to those who .......
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #50
Dia

Re: The continuing saga of the Pocatello V10

Van report...

Just got off the phone with Dennis at P&R Auto in Pocatello.

The repair had to do with a transmission sensor and a fluid temperature code. Parts include a $30 sensor, 9 quarts of oil, $140 in labor.

Is this a red flag for anyone? (I always worry when someone replaces a sensor that it wasn't really the sensor.)

In the meantime, something spooked the hubs, and he said no to the deal just before heading out on a weekend trip with the kid's Scout troop. I was pretty disappointed yesterday (!), but today when I called Dennis back, I asked him if we could give him a wishlist and have him shop the auctions and leases for us in a month or two after our tax refund comes in. He said yes, though prices on passenger vans tend to go up as spring hits as that's when people (e.g. tourist and adventure outfitters) start to use them.

I've been looking at vans for awhile now, and this outfit in Pocatello is the first one I've trusted enough to ask about the auction situation. I feel like they've dealt straight with me, and there hasn't been anything in the way of slimy/high-pressure sales tactics, which I hate.

So, if anyone has been eying this van and thinking you'd jump on it if I took my finger off it, here's your chance.

If you're interested, though, this dealer does NOT do email. They're seriously old school and you'll have to call.