Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Dia

Pocatello V10-repair report

ETA: Well, I've done been converted. Many thanks to everyone who chimed in with yeas, nays and lots of helpful edumacation.

I hear we have a member in Pocatello-ish, but I don't know who that might be. I'd love it if that person could swing by, check it out and kick the tires for me. Anybody game?
------------------------------------------

Hi, folks,

I just found a tan 2010 EB E-350 V10 Wagon w/ 65k mi for $14k. How good of a deal is this assuming decent condition, no rust and the Carfax checks out?

I've been leaning toward Chevys, but this one is sorely tempting me. I know you guys like the V10 (aside from the 7.3, that is) - so why is that? It's got a more robust tranny than the 5.4, right? How's the mileage for 2WD?

Would this be a reliable platform? Reliable as in, I'd like 100,000 miles plus and more than 10 years out of it. Are there any known problems such as the cruise control fires, the ones that used to spit plugs, etc?

I've heard these are a PITA to drive, and that the rear overhang makes them prone to rollovers, which scares me (and that's why I was after a Chevy). Is this legit or overblown?

Link on Autotrader: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... =360085072

The original window sticker is attached below.

Thanks in advance. This forum is an awesome place.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 10FordE350sticker.pdf (138.4 KB, 26 views)

Old 01-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #2

Re: Dear Ford-lovers, please convert me. :D

I know nothing about v10s but one thing to check is the foot room available for the passenger. Some of the dog houses squeeze the foot room so small that it becomes uncomfortable on long trips.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #3

Re: Dear Ford people, please convert me. :D

1st off Welcome, 2nd the 5.4/v10 are both great engines it just depends on what you plan on doing with your van. The 5.4 is a great, reliable, strong, avg mpg vehicle if your plan is to keep the build very minimal but once you add the 4wd conversion,cabinets,water storage,gear, bumpers+++ well you get the picture....your van has now become one heavy SOB (9-10k lbs)! The V10 is one strong engine that could handle that weight no problem, if I hadn't found a 7.3 I would have bought a newer V10 hands down! I have seen many with well over 300,000 miles come through the service department, the technicians loved the V10.
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #4

Re: Dear Ford-lovers, please convert me. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
I know nothing about v10s but one thing to check is the foot room available for the passenger. Some of the dog houses squeeze the foot room so small that it becomes uncomfortable on long trips.
We discovered that releasing the seat rotation and cocking the seat about 3º starboard solves that problem. Eventually we just locked the passenger seat spinner release since we have it that way all the time now.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #5

Thats a great price on a hard to find van!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia
Hi, folks,

I just found a tan 2010 EB E-350 V10 Wagon w/ 65k mi for $14k. How good of a deal is this assuming decent condition, no rust and the Carfax checks out?

I've been leaning toward Chevys, but this one is sorely tempting me. I know you guys like the V10 (aside from the 7.3, that is) - so why is that? It's got a more robust tranny than the 5.4, right? How's the mileage for 2WD? The V10 has a better trans, but the 5.4 trans is fine for that engine's power. V10 has more power, but the 5.4 is plenty for non-towing use.

Would this be a reliable platform? Reliable as in, I'd like 100,000 miles plus and more than 10 years out of it. Are there any known problems such as the cruise control fires, the ones that used to spit plugs, etc?The 5.4L is a solid, reliable engine. No plug issues with the late engines.

I've heard these are a PITA to drive, and that the rear overhang makes them prone to rollovers, which scares me (and that's why I was after a Chevy). Is this legit or overblown? It can be an issue with vans that are full of people (high center of gravity) and an inexperienced driver.
Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #7

No power windows or locks? Might not be an issue for you, but I wouldn't want a vehicle without those options. Just the convenience of having them makes life so much easier.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Dia

Good catch, Mike. You're right, I don't think it has them. We can probably do without, but it's something to think about.

@everyone else - thanks for the input! Keep it coming.

Also, it's not likely that we'll convert this to 4WD. Most of our camping is the State / National Park kind. I can see us doing some boondocks if, but we're not into wheeling or extended back country stuff.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #9

I think V10s and 5.4s both have the 5r110 trans in 2010 right? in 2002, my year, I'm pretty sure they both had the 4r100, which was the stronger trans from Ford then. My 5.4 has it anyway.

The rollover problem is mostly hype. Sure, they happened, mostly to churches and schools who let them sit unmaintained for months and months, then load up 15 people to go somewhere without even checking tire pressure. If you maintain your tires, even reasonably well, the rollover thing is not much of an issue. I think it has much more to do with tire maintenance than center of gravity since most of those rollovers started with a rear blowout.

No, the longer ones aren't hard to drive, the shorter wheelbase of Fords over Chevys makes them EASIER to drive. I've driven both many thousands of miles (at work in a fleet environment) and the Fords are much easier to drive, steer, park, and maneuver with the shorter wheelbase. This is my opinion, of course, but I could add everyone I've ever worked with who also felt the same way, that would be hundreds of other professional drivers.

I would advise you to pass on a van without power windows and door locks. That's lots of doors and lots of distance between them. In other words, you can't just reach across the passenger seat and crack the passenger window in a full size van to get a little breeze, nor can you very easily lean across to open the passenger or rear doors if you are already in the driver seat. Just my .02 again of course.
I have no idea why they even made them in 2010 without PW and PDL, even for basic cargo use it's a huge pain to any owner.

Plug issues, as Mike said, are ancient history by the 2010 year model. It was pretty much ironed out around 2000.

A 2010, or actually a 2005 or newer, is a wonderful vehicle, that's when they got the latest trans I think. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
Dia

Thanks, Eric!

This one is a 5-speed automatic. Is that still the 5r110? I know nothing about transmissions.