Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2020, 11:22 PM   #1

Garage
Political adverting...

Surprised and frustrated to see political advertisements in our safe van world. I enjoy the SMB site as an escape from day to day stresses and such.

Wonder what it would take to not have those types of adds or no adds at all?

Maybe this has been discussed before? If so please delete.

dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokaman View Post
Surprised and frustrated to see political advertisements in our safe van world. I enjoy the SMB site as an escape from day to day stresses and such.

Wonder what it would take to not have those types of adds or no adds at all?

Probably money. Some us supported Jage when he owned the web site but today sites have to make a profit to survive. If not, advertising. JMO. Just remember it's difficult to deal with web sites like this. Takes money and effort to keep things going. However it would be nice to see a political free atmosphere.

What adds are you upset about. I actually don't pay attention to them.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #3

No ads using tapatalk. Just saying. Ad block plus in your browser works.

Politicians pump more into internet spam ads than TV by a large margin. They suck
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Block some ads is completely understandable BUT we've got to realize the new owners are in this to make a profit. We can still support them directly I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) OR we can allow some ads OR subscribe to their newsletter and visit the links from time-to-time.

I do that if only to be courteous hosts---this is a great site and one I don't mind supporting any way I can.

Just sayin.............
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #5

The money goes to Google more than it goes to the site. I would rather the site ask for paid membership than give space for crappy ads, cookies, and tracking.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #6

Odd. I don't recall ever seeing a political ad while reading the SMB forum. Plenty of RV related ones on the "side bars"; no pop-ups.

Wonder how much location targeting influences what one sees.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #7

Garage
^^^^^Same with me^^^^^^
RV Ads, Previous sites I've visited, but never a political Ad (that I actually noticed anyway). I also have not been bombarded with hardly any ads other than what displays on the sidebar & have never had any pop-ups.
Wonder if some may be a result of whatever Computer Security provider/service you use???
Old 04-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #8

It is just like Facebook, it is targeted ads with an algorithm. If you don't have cookies you only get them based on IP address.

(My non tech expert understanding)
Old 04-15-2020, 09:11 AM   #9

I used to be [tangentially] in this biz, there's 2 things that will help a lot.

First, sign in, both on the forum and in your browser. When you're completely anonymous, revenue per ad is extremely low, so many extra ads get injected into each page in an attempt to break even. You might think they'd do that regardless to maximize revenue, but it's not true... too many ads just annoy everyone (more than usual) and lose money on average. But there's less concern about annoying the people they get virtually no revenue from.

Second, if you don't like a category of ad, you can often change that directly. adssettings.google.com is a good place to start, and provides info and links for other ad networks. You might be creeped out about how much the algorithms have figured out about you, or you might relish the opportunity of filling your feeds with ads that are potentially more interesting to you. Or both.

The general theory is that, the more targeted an advertiser can be, the more valuable it is for the advertiser, the more money it commands for the forum (minus the ad network's significant but not extortionate cut), and the more you get to see ads for new 4x4 pickup trucks instead of Barbie Fun Castles. And in theory, your synthesized, anonymized profile is only seen by the networks' algorithms, not by any humans and not by the advertisers. I trust this is true for the major players from personal experience, but there's a lot of shady operators out there too.

This is just FYI, I don't want to start a debate about privacy, surveillance, and the power of giant multinational corps, and won't respond to such. It's just spitting into the wind. Like it or not, this is how the modern web is funded, as time and time again the vast, vast majority of media consumers have preferred "free" to "not free". Use ad blockers or anonymizers if you want, I don't have a dog in this fight.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:16 AM   #10

Very informative Andrew. Do you mind telling me how I can replace every picture or mention of Donald Trump with Barbie fun castles? This would help me greatly.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote