Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #1

Pop Top Penthouse does it add value or make it a harder sell

HI There Folks

Me and my wife went to Sportsmobile West in March just before the covid shut down to take a factory tour but at that time we new way to little about class Bs
so we did not want to order one. We really like the idea of a Penthouse were all about ventilation and AC we would be on land power 75% of the time. This would be a vacation and long distance travel vehicle for us not a extended off grid over lander. So any thoughts on Pop Tops ( SportsMobile Pop Top ) do they add any value or make it harder to sell you sure do not see many used for sale.

larry@rapidprorp.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #2

That is a tricky one. I assume you mean a penthouse v. a high top sprinter or transit. We love our penthouse, but we also need it for extra sleeping space. We also like the airy feel when it's popped and the fact that it's a little incognito out in the world.

We would pay more for a pop top.
jamesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:06 PM   #3

Penthouse tops add value...they are unicorns in the general van population, but quite common around here.

.....and for similar $$ as the Sportsmobile top, check out Colorado Camper Van tops. They are all electric, have much wider beds, and different top heights to choose from.......and you can sit upright in a CCV top while in bed.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:34 PM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Such a loaded question, and lots of discussion on pop tops, depends on what your needs are. I’ll second the recommendation of at least taking a look at Colorado camper van for a pop top(and potential build out). Even though this is called “Sportsmobile forum”, it now encompasses all the numerous up fitters found out there as well as home builds.
Where are you located? It might be worth taking a look at some of the other builders that might be nearby, often you’ll find they use better materials, have a higher overall build quality and you’ll have a better opportunity to customize your buildout by working with one of the smaller fabricators.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:28 PM   #5

I agree with above. SMB pop tops definitely add value and are never hard to sell, either the whole van or the top alone but those come up very rarely.

Where you are located and where you travel matters a LOT. If you're in the eastern U.S. and travel there and maybe go to Florida now and then I wouldn't recommend a pop top. I'd get a fixed roof with powerful shore power air conditioning.

If in the western U.S. where it's cool at night and rarely humid a pop top is an excellent idea.

Lots of rain, say the PNW? I'd go fixed top. Just like REF said, it's a loaded question.

Then there is parking. Many people with HOA's or low garages like pop top vans.

Good luck in your search. Lots and lots of great info and helpful folks here.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #6

Thank You Everyone for your reply's.

Where you are located and where you travel matters a LOT
I did not know about the humidity situation with a Penthouse we are located in the western U.S we will travel mainly in California, Oregon, Arizona.

I’ll second the recommendation of at least taking a look at Colorado camper van for a pop top(and potential build out)
I will consult Colorado Camper Van there Penthouse has more options than
SportsMobile. It would be easier for me if the builder could source the van
but at the present the supply chain for many things is just not there.
Our van build would be a north south rear bed dinette combination, small galley,
composting toilet in a cabinet plus all the utilities we don't need a lot of
storage as me and my wife are just tourists will be plugged in 50% of the
time
larry@rapidprorp.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:23 AM   #7

on occasion I've had the top up for a few hours parked on the street by my house.

Afterwards, I've had people stop by, and I've gotten a couple of notes asking if I want to sell.

This doesn't happen when the top is closed, and it simply appears to be a nondescript extended white van.
zardac is offline   Reply With Quote