Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2018, 09:22 AM   #1

Popup for Transit

I'm getting a popup from colorado campervan. I have a green transit and debating if I should have the popup painted green which costs $1200 or just leave it white. I don't care but I'm looking for opinions of others just in case I need to sell the van. Thoughts?

Jong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #2

There are many others here who actually have pop tops who can chime in, but have you considered Raptor Liner, Linex or one of those type products? I think the standard black would look a lot better than white and would add a lot of protection. If you do it yourself you're probably into it for $100-150. CCV may be able to do it as well for a fee, but I'm not sure. Just another option to consider.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
CCV may be able to do it as well for a fee, but I'm not sure. Just another option to consider.
Yeah, the charge to paint the popup is from CCV. I'm just not all that into aesthetics, my wife calls me a caveman, and was wondering from people who care about that stuff what they think. Would you think a white popup with a green van would look good?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #4

I'd bite the bullet now and have it painted. It will look much better. I had a CCV top just left primer gray on a van and I tried to paint it myself after I found out no one would do the job. It came out pretty good but was VERY difficult to paint already mounted to the van.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
MSD

Garage
Yup we can raptor line it too... charge is about half of paint. Things to think about... are you getting a fan? If so, and you paint it after, then you'll have to mask off the fan for either paint or any type of liner and it up off the ground a lot higher. You'll also be painting over the stainless fitting that mount the top or masking off, which to me means both areas have a potential to peel over time.

Basically for me it comes down to resale. Do you care if it's white or green? Sounds like you don't care... if you were ever to sell some people might use the white top as a negotiating point others might not. Other thing to consider is happy wife, happy life even cavemen can understand that logic right

One last thing in closing... if we are painting your top for $1200.00 as a color match your getting a good deal, it's normally $1800.00 so I'd jump now...
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #6

MSD, I am getting a fan. I'm just curious to others opinions on having 2 colors and if people cared or not. I personally don't, not sure on the raptor line. What would be the advantage of having a raptor line?
Old 12-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
MSD, I am getting a fan. I'm just curious to others opinions on having 2 colors and if people cared or not. I personally don't, not sure on the raptor line. What would be the advantage of having a raptor line?
Most people who go with Raptor liner are just not wanting it to be white, and they don't want to pay $1800 for a color match. But are willing to spend $900.00 to raptor line it. Basically a cheaper option to painting it.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
At 1/2 the cost of paint, raptor seems like a good deal. Raptor is basically a durable shell. Would protect your top from scratches, etc. It might look cool with a black top and a green van, too. Possibly the black roof means the van will be absorb more heat (not sure about this, as I doubt the pop-top fiberglass-type material conducts heat very well), but if you are getting an exhaust fan, the possible heat gain is perhaps not worth worrying about.

Also, my advice is to at least have CCV pre-wire for the fan, if you are not having them do the fan install. It's money well spent IMO, because it's a pain in the butt to do the wiring afterwards (assuming you want the wiring not to be exposed.)

Good luck with your CCV top; CCV put a top on my 148WB Transit back in May, and I love it!
JT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #9

When I was considering getting a top installed, I thought about getting just the sides of the top painted and leaving the top white. I don't know if it would be cheaper ( I would think at least a little bit cheaper) but I was also thinking the white top would absorb less heat on a dark colored van.

If you don't want to fork out the money now to have the top raptor lined, you can always have that done later as well. I've had several things rhino-lined and even had the top coat to paint match and it came out really nice.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #10
RCR

Two tone paint, white over color, is more expensive because of the taping. The std gel coat top gets chalky and painting it white offers less maintenance. Either way, for hot weather camping, the white top is a plus.
Baja bound
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote