Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #1

Popup top weight capacity

Can any one tell me how much weight the electric popup top can carry? I'm trying to find out how many solar panels I can install and still be able to raise my electric popup top.

wanlarry719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:33 PM   #2

Garage
Don't believe you'll get a specific answer to that - but in another recent thread I believe the general consensus is around 175lbs now.
I keep up with the lubricating maintenance on mine, and for the last several years have about 185lbs on the top with no issue to date (estimated: 80lb roof rack, 30lb Thule pod with about 20lbs of bulky but light stuff in it, 25lbs of lights, 20lbs of solar, and 10lbs on the Aluminess ax & shovel kit)
Old 08-05-2020, 09:30 PM   #3

I am impressed with that much weight. Further impressed with your ability to find that much roof space for all those items. Do you mind sending me a photo?

Also, would love to have instructions on lube and maintenance.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #4

Garage
As far as pop top maintenance, all I do is spread grease on the shinny metal poles that is attached at the X pivot, also put some inside all 4 Tracks (may have remove a couple small screws and peel back a little of the fabric to access the tracks), and then spray some silicone grease into the area where the cross bars are mounted to the roof.

I don't have a picture that shows my roof configuration from above, but this might provide an idea (more pictures in my album if you are interested):
Old 08-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #5

Thanks. Looks great
Old 08-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #6

When I had the CCV high-top installed, I was told I could go up to, but not exceed 300 lbs. That sounded like a lot considering most roof racks have a limit of 150 lbs. I could be wrong here, but I think they also said the motor that raises & lowers the top is rated at 1,100 lbs., which sounds like a lot too. If they told me what the roof itself weighs, I've already forgotten what they said.

I'm actually right in the middle of trying to figure out what I'm going to carry up there and what the weight will be. I'd like to keep the weight evened out as much as possible, but I don't think I can avoid the rear being heavier than thee front.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #7

To be safe, I am going to limit 150b
Old 08-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #8

I was hoping to stay around 200 lbs. or less, but when I add just the weight of 5 Yakima steel round bars & mounting hardware, the weight of an empty cargo box, the weight of an empty Yakima fly-rod box, and a couple of not yet purchased solar panels, all of which I want to be able to leave on the roof all the time, I'm already approaching 150-175 lbs. That doesn't leave a lot for the gear & firewood I plan to carry up there.

Next week I'm taking the van to a metal fabricator that Gooseberry turned me onto. He inserts solid metal rod stock inside the hollow tubing at the junction of the two lifting rods on each side. This prevents flexing of the tubing at the bolt hole which prevents the bolt hole from becoming worn and out of round. Apparently he's done a number of vans with great results.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #9

Will be interested in how everything works out. Please keep me updated
Old 08-08-2020, 03:11 PM   #10

Can you tell me where I can get this grab bar

Tags
popup top, weight capacity