Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #1

Powered pop-top hint

The pop top on my 2011 E250 failed on a recent trip. We managed to get it down to get home. The stainless steel guide on the cross bar broke. Luckily we have a great mechanic who managed to remove it with much disassembly. He had to take the bracket to a weld shop that could do stainless to have it re-welded but it was a $700 fix. They said it was caused by lack of lubrication to the track which put undo stress while lifting. Good thing to add to your maintenance list.

rob277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #2

Rob, you might add some pics or a bit more description. Are you talking about the crossbar center pin support extending bar the stands vertically, or the slider assembly mechanism under the roof rail? I haven't seen any stainless support items in our electric top...but have had issues with the lubrication and washer assembly's in the roof sliders....
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #3

I have an electric penthouse top and live full time in my van. Therefore it gets a lot of use.

To moorefc's request, please post ANY maintenance you are doing on the top. I would rather be proactive and avoid a problem. I had not seen any information about applying lubrication to the cross bars or other mechanisms.

To date the only issue I had was with a zipper. I was able to repair the slider (thank god!)
Fremebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #4

I have some older posts if you search, and look here
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post235635
PS and on the zipper and vinyl windows there is a great product -
303 (30306) Marine Aerospace Protectant

water based silicone (buy the cheapest version of it as it is all the same, but now bottled differently)....Do not use ammonia on vinyl windows, as it removes the plasticizes...
Old 09-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #5

Excellent information--greatly appreciated. I had been looking for a product to use.

Have you had any issues with zippers--mine would unzip behind slider. Talked to Peter SMW) and he said if zipper fails, entire top would need to be replaced. YIKES!

Watched a you tube video on zipper repair. Said slider comes apart and to squeeze shut with pliers. First did it on front of zipper, worked for only awhile. Then did on back of zipper. So far seems to be working. Has me a bit worried though--any thoughts.

Thank you again for the product info and post. I am going to examine my top as you described in your post.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #6

303 on your zippers (and all vinyl, dashboard etc)...it will make it EASY to open and close....Sometimes it helps if not using the silicone, lower the top slightly to ease the zipper side tension.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #7

Got it--thanks

Just ordered product from amazon!