Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2017, 02:08 AM   #1
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Preventing a flat

I have searched a couple dozen thread suggestions form using the SEARCH option (Thx as always DaveB for bringing it to my attention) and I haven't found anything. There is only one thing that scares me about 4x'ing on forrest roads, mountain passes, gravel roads, all of Utah, is the possibility of a flat and the bummer/process it will surely turn into. We had a flat on our last adventure but we were coming out of the mountains made it on pavement and to small town (as some nice travelers pulled us over to inform us of the flat, as I thought it was a bit 'squishy' in the corners...)for a plug which led to a couple new tires later, pulling into Seattle...anyway, is there a liner, or kevlar inter tube option or something that can cut down the flat possibilities?

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:50 AM   #2

I'm not aware of anything that goes inside a truck tire to prevent flats, but since I've had several, I'd be interested. Meanwhile, changing a tire shouldn't be a big deal as long as your jack will lift the van high enough. If not, a few wood blocks will solve that problem. Meanwhile, I carry a tire plugging kit, air compressor and two spares, along with a breaker bar and deep socket for the lugnuts. So don't be scared of those far away adventures, just be prepared.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
ctb

Garage
Thx for the bode of going for it confidence! Also, I seem to remember a serious SMB'r who had an awesome list with such things to make sure to have on board...who was that now???lol!
Old 12-31-2017, 07:54 PM   #4

Nothing I know of will prevent a flat. But having the right tires will decrease the frequency. More plies = less flats.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:27 PM   #5

See: CRF Run Flat Tire Insert Installation Guide | Bulldog Direct Protective Systems

This doesn't prevent flats but purportedly lets you keep driving.
COkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
ctb

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by COkid View Post
See: CRF Run Flat Tire Insert Installation Guide | Bulldog Direct Protective Systems

This doesn't prevent flats but purportedly lets you keep driving.
That is a site I didn't even (or thought) could exist, but WOW, talk about making a SMB a Zombie-Appocolypse proof vehicle! I didn't get into pricing yet, but will throw a request at them...cool and thx
Old 01-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #7

Garage
Just stating this for the benefit of anyone new reading this (as it's a no-brainer for the experienced off-roaders), but properly *airing down your tires* when off-road **dramatically** decreases the likelihood of a flat caused by roll-over puncture.

Somewhere on the web:
There's a video where a test was conducted to see how many back/forth passes it would take to drive over a pointy metal spike and get it to finally break through (puncture) the casings of three varieties of tire construction.....and doing so with a variety of tire pressures. It's pretty startling how even basic OEM tires become **much more resistant to puncture** once aired down...and magnitudes more so for the high-quality/multi-casing off-road tires.

EDIT: Here it is!
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
That is a site I didn't even (or thought) could exist, but WOW, talk about making a SMB a Zombie-Appocolypse proof vehicle! I didn't get into pricing yet, but will throw a request at them...cool and thx
That's maybe ok for pavement but forget it for gravel road or offroad as you cannot deflate your tires with such a device.

As Artictraveller said, just carry a good state spear wheel, a good jack and some heavy duty base to put under the jack in soft terrain... ;-)

Happy New Year !
Old 01-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
ctb

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt View Post
That's maybe ok for pavement but forget it for gravel road or offroad as you cannot deflate your tires with such a device.

As Artictraveller said, just carry a good state spear wheel, a good jack and some heavy duty base to put under the jack in soft terrain... ;-)

Happy New Year !
Hey PS!!! I haven't seen you posting for awhile, GREAT to see you/read your post!!How are you? I hope this finds you well! Thanks for that tidbit...It is my own paranoia that I have to get over...as we have seen each other in the boonies of AK, it is those ultra remote areas (when there is NOBODY for hundreds of miles) that have me worried...but yes, a good spare, the plug kit, I have bags in rear, so the compressor to air back up, a hi-lo jack plus my standard bottle jack, so I am OK...just need to relax...LOLOL! Where is your next big adventure? I think we are heading back up to AK this August...be in the neighborhood? Again, GREAT to hear from you!
Old 01-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #10

Garage
Hi ctb! Hope everything is doing well for you and that you still enjoy your beautiful blue one.
You're right, I'm not very often here anymore.
VivaLaVida is actually in Europe. I imported her in October 2016 and needed almost one year to get her registered. It's really difficult to get such a modified vehicle registered here. Had a nice short trip in French and Italian Alps in September, then some nice getaway in Swiss Alps later, but not much time to travel in 2017. Planing some more time to travel in 2018, but not in Alaska for sure, even if I mis this place...
Safe travel to you ! Hope to see your pictures in the trip report section soon.