Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #11

Garage
Re: Preventive measures on the 6.0 PSD before a long trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
There is no peace of mind.
Only Zuul!

dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #12

Geez, is there anyone out there that hasn't had a dreadful failure with their 6.0? I have a 2005 SMB 6.0 with 60K miles, and it's seems to be just fine. Had the HPOP replaced under warranty at 30k, there's a little drip of oil on the garage floor, but I've never had to add oil. I chose the diesel in 2005 for the fuel cost. At the time diesel was $2.89 / gallon, a whole lot less than regular. Well, we all know what happened after THAT! But I think I'm still money ahead over the V10 with cost per mile and maintenance. I don't drive it every day, and when I do, it's for trips of 100 miles or so. And it seems to be working just fine. I admit, I kinda' like the noise and the smell.

Lets have a little bit of love for this engine! There must be SOMEONE out there that's OK with their 6.0?

Tom
Old 02-27-2014, 10:40 PM   #13

Sure, I'll be a contrarian. We have an '06 6.0 with about 75k on it. It's been very reliable, we don't hesitate to head out for long trips. Here's to hoping our luck holds.

-- gordon
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Geez, is there anyone out there that hasn't had a dreadful failure with their 6.0? I have a 2005 SMB 6.0 with 60K miles, and it's seems to be just fine. Had the HPOP replaced under warranty at 30k, there's a little drip of oil on the garage floor, but I've never had to add oil. I chose the diesel in 2005 for the fuel cost. At the time diesel was $2.89 / gallon, a whole lot less than regular. Well, we all know what happened after THAT! But I think I'm still money ahead over the V10 with cost per mile and maintenance. I don't drive it every day, and when I do, it's for trips of 100 miles or so. And it seems to be working just fine. I admit, I kinda' like the noise and the smell.

Lets have a little bit of love for this engine! There must be SOMEONE out there that's OK with their 6.0?

Tom
82,000 on mine. I'm about to replace the FICM before it leaves me stranded and I need ball joints. Replaced the batteries and alternator at 75,000. Otherwise, smooth sailing. Fingers crossed.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher

Tom
Almost 100k on mine.

No mods, aside from the Amsoil bypass filter system.

Zero problems. My SMB has been by far the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Hope it stays that way too!

I use Amsoil fuel treatment with every fill up and I drive it hard regularly.

Mine has also had a drop of oil on the bell housing since the day I brought it home.

R
Old 02-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #16

does installing the Amsoil bypass filter void the Ford Factory warranty?
ucsundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsundog
does installing the Amsoil bypass filter void the Ford Factory warranty?
No, however if a problem was caused by an oiling-related issue, than that repair may not be covered. For example, if a HPOP or injector failure was found to be caused by a collapsed sump-screen, that would indicate insufficient filtering and could be ground to not cover that repair. It's one of the most common failures I've seen on the 6.0. Not from using the Amsoil setup (some were installed wrong!) but from common aftermarket filters, including all of the store brands. This is because the aftermarket had to under-size the filters to get around Ford's patents, which allows too much oil to bypass the filter, and debris ends up plugging the sump screen until it ruptures. The only aftermarket brand that fits properly is Racor, because they make the Motorcraft filters.

I think this is less likely to happen with a properly-installed Amsoil filter setup, however if the damage is already done from using aftermarket filters previously, and Ford sees the Amsoil setup installed, it would be easy for them to point fingers.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #18

I loved my 6.0, but it cost me a lot of $$$$ over the 8 years I owned it. Take note of what carringb wrote. I wouldn't worry about adding an Amsoil bypass filter. Folks do it to extend oil change intervals which is a bad idea on a 6.0. Change the oil at least every 5k, use only motorcaft filters and keep up on coolant changes. If you can afford Amsoil oil, go for it, its what I used and my oil reports always came back in good shape. Adding a coolant filter is a great thing to do as others have said.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

I agree there. I've always had the AMSOIL system but replace it all every 7K. MFG recommendation just better filtration.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #20

I know this is an old thread but I've hit 146,000 miles on my 2005 Diesel 6.0, which I purchased new.

The only "engine" problems I've had were glow plug #8 (06/2014 at 138,000 miles) the A/C compressor clutch (08/2011 at 105,000 miles) and vacuum pump (07/2011 at 101,000 miles, which was an interesting adventure since the brakes use the vacuum pump for assist, I was hundreds of miles from home and it failed late on the Friday of a 3 day holiday weekend.)

I've spent way more on the brakes than any other single category and A/C repair (Starcool related) has been the second most troublesome.

I do regular maintenance including 5,000 mile oil changes with Mobil 1 synthetic, transmission fluid changes, antifreeze changes, differential fluid, etc, and associated filters at the specified intervals (more or less) plus use Power Service supplement with virtually every tank. In my opinion, all this plus the benefit of the SCT Live Wire Economy program I put in at around 25,000 miles have kept many of the dreaded 6.0 problems at bay.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote