Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #1

Price Check Please - SMB 2009

I saw this local add, (Sorry if this is the wrong section)

I was wondering what you guys thought about the price?

What questions would you ask the seller?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome...ile/1405946443

Thanks.

Cyrull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #2

Seems good on price overall, but I would be hesitant to go with a 4.6. Just my personal opinion. Being from Ontario, may want to see what kind of rust situation there may be. Otherwise, normal maintenance questions, make sure systems work, etc.
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish41 View Post
Seems good on price overall, but I would be hesitant to go with a 4.6. Just my personal opinion. Being from Ontario, may want to see what kind of rust situation there may be. Otherwise, normal maintenance questions, make sure systems work, etc.
Thanks for the info wish41, I'm originally from Ontario so rust is effeminately a concern.

Can you elaborate on the 4.6 engine? I'm still new to researching Ford's.

If I do end up getting the vehicle I am likely going to take it to a shop for a 4x4 conversion, I am guessing if its possible this would be the best time to do an engine swap? What do people typically run?
Old 01-20-2019, 02:29 AM   #4

Certainly do some research here and elsewhere to make sure you get other input on the 4.6. I think that with the additional weight of the conversion (and especially if you want to add 4x4), the 4.6 is not adequate to handle the task. I do not have personal experience with the 4.6, but I envision it having to work harder than other engines on level pavement let alone offroad or mountainous terrain.

The value equation for this particular van decreases if you are thinking of putting more money into an engine swap.
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #5

I would not recommend this van for what you are proposing. First, I think it's priced too high as is. Looks like no more than about $20k of SMB to me. It is clean and the miles are nice and low (56k for us Muricans) but it has a woefully underpowered engine and will be an absolute dog with a 4wd conversion. You also mentioned a possible engine swap. This is NOT as easy as you may think. For the money you will have in to this you could buy a nice completely loaded SMB with a V10 or diesel. Not that you even need that but the money you're talking after a conversion and engine swap would equal it. You'll be in 50 large on this thing and probably more.

For what it sounds like you want, a 4wd SMB with more power, you should just keep looking. There are several nice ones for sale right now.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:21 AM   #6

I drove a 4.6 van recently. Geared appropriately - it would make a perfectly nice traveler for non-heavy duty needs.

As far as this deal - I would be all over it if it was in Murican and close enough to me.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
Site Team

4.6L is the same base engine in mid '90s to mid '00s Mustangs and early '90s to '12 Crown Vics, both considerably lighter than E series.

How you use it, where you use it, and any plans for towing will drive your decision.

Herb
Old 01-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I would not recommend this van for what you are proposing. First, I think it's priced too high as is. Looks like no more than about $20k of SMB to me. It is clean and the miles are nice and low (56k for us Muricans) but it has a woefully underpowered engine and will be an absolute dog with a 4wd conversion. You also mentioned a possible engine swap. This is NOT as easy as you may think. For the money you will have in to this you could buy a nice completely loaded SMB with a V10 or diesel. Not that you even need that but the money you're talking after a conversion and engine swap would equal it. You'll be in 50 large on this thing and probably more.

For what it sounds like you want, a 4wd SMB with more power, you should just keep looking. There are several nice ones for sale right now.

Thanks the info Scotty, I guess one of the big reasons why I am entertaining this idea right now is that the vehicle is already in Canada. From what I've seen so far, SMB's are extremely difficult to import into Canada.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Thanks the info Scotty, I guess one of the big reasons why I am entertaining this idea right now is that the vehicle is already in Canada. From what I've seen so far, SMB's are extremely difficult to import into Canada.
I was about to ask your location relative to the vehicle for sale. I agree it's priced a little high, but being located in Canada saves you a lot of hassle.