Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsboebel View Post

Is it a danger sign that this has only been driven 5k year or is this no big deal for econolines?
I missed this...

Anything with old vehicles... it's the rubber that wears out. Gaskets (Doors, windows)... We had most/all of the hoses on the engine replaced two years back or so, not that anything was failing. Preventative measure.

A lot of these 4th gen vans have a rust spot that's at the bottom lip of the drivers door... If it's there it will be apparent, I've seen several vans with it. I think it's mostly people getting into/out of the van with rocks in their shoes or are otherwise wearing the paint down there, and over 20 years it starts to rust.

The one thing that did go out was the rear heating lines. For vans equipped with the rear AC/Heat, there are lines that run the length of the body down the drivers side of the vehicles... Ours had a couple of pinhole leaks back in.... 2007 or so? 2006-2009? I think that was more of a 'random nature' replacement than a routine breakage.

Offroading_is_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:33 PM   #12

You don't need to do much work in a conversion van to make it camp ready. Just take out the middle seats, throw in a cooler and fold the rear bed down! Bring a stove and a table with you and get out there! Don't let the planning and the building be the enemy of going out and having fun.

Now if what you really like is the planning and the building (and there are tons of people on here in this camp) then keep planning and start building. But don't let the planning get in the way of having adventures. Too many people think they need a fully decked out van when really all they need is something with a sleeping bag in it.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post

The one thing that did go out was the rear heating lines. For vans equipped with the rear AC/Heat, there are lines that run the length of the body down the drivers side of the vehicles... Ours had a couple of pinhole leaks back in.... 2007 or so? 2006-2009? I think that was more of a 'random nature' replacement than a routine breakage.
Any vehicle with rear A/C-Heat and uses the extended under body hoses or lines are always susceptible to leaks---most often its the A/C portion though. The downside there is once one of those goes it drains the entire A/C system of refrigerant disabling the whole system. The typical repair entails replacing the rotted aluminum tubing with suitable custom-made hoses rated to carry A/C system pressures.

Usually this is best farmed out to a shop specializing in RV or bus/limo A/C servicing. Its not cheap but if rear cooling is needed its just part of owning an older van.

If its just the heating lines those are somewhat easier to replace as you can simply use a good grade of standard vehicle coolant hose, tapping into the under hood lines with various fittings available at most any auto parts seller. Dorman is one brand I've used to good effect.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsboebel View Post
Here's the listing: https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/60805092

This would be our first van. $14k seems waaayy overpriced and I wanted a quote of what you guys think it is worth?

It has 38,075 miles, but I'm suspicious because there is only 5 digits so I assume it just resets after 100k.

Also, any thoughts on what mechanical issues to look out for would be great to know about before I check it out.
Good comments already made, also consider this is a half ton (which I don't think Sportsmobile did for long) it will be very easy to overload... our EB350 is consistently at or above its GVWR just with two of us and our stuff...
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #15

I think he is way over priced, the door bottoms are rusting badly, that would kill the deal for me, besides low miles are not really your friend, a vehicle that has not been run much can be problematic once you start to use it and the bugs will come out of the wood work, 3k tops, just my opinion
kingcarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #16

Thanks for all the help folks. We ended up going with a 2000 Eurovan MV for $3700.

We were going to use it as our daily driver, so we wanted something a little more functional than a cargo van. All the best.
rsboebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #17

I paid $1500 for my 1991. No rust but I had to replace the fuel system. I'd let it go for $14k Haha.
Attached Thumbnails
20171121_110008.jpg  
nortryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1990, camper, ford, poptop, price