Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #1

Garage
Problem filling propane tank.

Has anyone ever had a propane dealer say he couldn't fill your tank because the filler nozzle wouldn't fit in the opening? I've just had two dealers show me this - when they try to attach the nozzle it hits the body of the van due to the angle of the filler input on the body of the tank. I've only had the tank filled once in the year I've owned the van- at a U-Haul dealer. They had no problem. Is it possible they were set up to fill the small tanks like you find on BBQ grills? I thought those guys wouldn't fill tanks on vehicles. How do I find someone with the right equipment? (Currently I'm in south Texas near Del Rio, so there aren't a ton of alternatives.)

Thanks,
Steve.

cyberspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #2

Re: Problem filling propane tank.

Any truck stop or gas station with an outside tank, not an exchange station has been able to fill mine.

Sounds like you've got the door like me, maybe snap a few photos and somebody can compare alignment?

[Edit: Not a great angle...]
Old 02-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Also, it's not like a gas pump, there is no "right side up" for the nozzle (can't remember if they twist it 90° for fillup)...
Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 AM   #4

I usually fill up here at a Uhaul, no problem

Was at a gas station in Bryce, Utah a bit ago

Guy had a bit of trouble with proper adapter

but that was all...
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #5

Had the same problem.In my case the tank was riding on the bolts that pass thru the frame that hold the brake lines in place.It was also riding on the E Brake cable bracket.OOOPS!..Let's see,tank full of flammable gas + vibrating metal on metal = ? A little trimming with a sawsall or hacksaw,some loosening of tank mounting bolts and that did the trick.Don't know how close you are to Sportsmobile but take it back and make do it right.
tigooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #6

tigooda, where are these bolts? I'd like to inspect mine. Any chance you could snap a photo so we can see where you're talking about?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #7

Garage

Hi, all

Just got back from the Texas trip. I was able to find a propane dealer in Marathon who found an adapter that worked with my tank. I remembered that the previous owner told me that he had the tank replaced, so I'm guessing this tank is not like a SMB original. In any case I need to be prepared to face this problem again, so I'll be looking for someone locally who can sell me an adapter.

Here's a pic of my set-up. Note the yellow filler cap in the upper left corner.

Steve.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000711.JPG  
cyberspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #8

I had a problem in Sandy, Utah. The nozzel on his hose was too short to get to the fitting. The door is small. The Uhaul place in Salt Lake City had a lot of trouble getting their nozzel to screw on through the small door, then could not get the little overflow vent valve open without taking the nozzel off.

I have Sprinter, conversion completed October 2010 -- Leaning Sportsmobile from Texas.
SkinnyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #9

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

The brackets on mine allowed only up and down adjustment. There is a bolt on each end.

The brackets are welded to each end of the tank. You can see the bolts just in front of the jack.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
Site Team

cyberspaeth:

My tank is situated like yours. I have had no problems filling it up at Uhaul. They have a long, narrow nozzle that fits right in through the opening.

Good luck!

Mac