Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #1

Prodution date frustrations

Hello,
SMB West has had my design and 50% deposit for nearly a month. They can't tell me when production will begin. One week ago it was estimated to be complete on July 15, one week later it's 'on pace' to be ready July 30. I've been dealing with Greg White. Nice guy, but I'm now begin to think I'm getting the run around.
Is this normal? Should I just sit back and relax and suck it up or is there someone else I should be talking with to get concrete answers?
Thanks,
Mike

messick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #2

Garage
I feel your pain, but relax. These are not off the shelf items. There are SO many factors, items, and potential problems in the course of building one of these complicated machines. Figure about 2 weeks past what they tell you at four weeks to go. Greg is a gem. He only can tell you what production tells him.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We put our first deposit down last July (2007)...

....the date has moved around a bunch since then, but when all is said and done they will be delivering about 4 weeks late of their original estimate and about 10 months after this all started.

It was easy to be patient until production actually started.

Living in Austin and being able to stop by, well, I am not sure if that helps or hurts the patience needed....

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #4

If your van is being produced in Fresno, there is also the unique Qatar van situation. They have 17 vans currently in production that I'm told need to be ready for shipment to Qatar by the end of May 08. No surprise, that has created some capacity constraints and flow issues with all other vans on the line.
R
Old 05-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
BC

that's interesting, what is the Qatar order all about, you know?
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
I saw some new photos today at SMB TX of the red Qatar SMBs today and they do look SHARP.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC
that's interesting, what is the Qatar order all about, you know?
When I was up in Fresno two weeks ago they said the ship date was the end of May 08, and that lots of overtime was being put in to get the vans done. I recall reading in another thread that these vans were purchased by the govt. of Qatar and are designed for SAR use and humanitarian relief missoins in the gulf and worldwide.

I'm glad to see SMB getting the sales volume, but if this becomes a trend, new vans could become scarce. Any of the gulf states could put down an order for 50 vans and pay for it out of the petty cash drawer.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #8

Delivery Date

I was at the Fresno facility today and the place was very busy with the completion of the 17 vehicles , in the conversation with Allan I was told that they had to make a number of changes as per the customers request that delayed the delivery date for these vans . Try to be patient our van was a 6 month build and that was because I to made changes that they very willingly made for us that delayed our original delivery date . I would venture to say that less than 10 per cent of their production are completely stock offerings That means that additional items not only have to be purchased but installed as well .I have been up to the Fresno facility twice in the last week and witnessed a great deal of hustle going on and on both days noticed the welcome signs on the front door for two more Sportmobilers . you will be very pleased when it is completed and delivered .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #9

Also, don't forget the people who are bringing their vans in to get service done, whether that be warranty work or new additions.

I'm at the Fresno factory today (working from my hotel room) and there are at least three vans there including mine getting work done today that definitely delay the build of the new vans.

Also, I will say that Greg was always completely honest with us during the entire build of our van and is telling you what he knows.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
I'm at the Fresno factory today (working from my hotel room)
Was that you, darn, I should have introduced myself when I saw you at the end of the day. I just wanted to get out of the heat as fast as I could.

Note that SMB West has a back room set up where you can set up a temporary office and work right there instead of going back to a motel room. Comes equipped with a futon for stretching out. Down side is they don't know the WEP key on the wifi so you don't have internet access.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote