Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #1

Propane smell outside next to van

Hi All,
Everytime I turn my propane on I can smell it very noticeably outside of the van. Inside is fine.
When the valve is off no smell and it doesn't leak any propane when shutoff.

Is this normal or something I need to get checked out.

rean1mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rean1mator View Post
Hi All,
Everytime I turn my propane on I can smell it very noticeably outside of the van. Inside is fine.
When the valve is off no smell and it doesn't leak any propane when shutoff.

Is this normal or something I need to get checked out.
Definitely not normal. Something like this http://content.amprobe.com/DataSheet...20Detector.pdf would help in locating where the leak is.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #3

Yeah, I borrowed my neighbors detector and couldn't confirm definitively. seems like it'sleaking out of the shut off valve.
But maybe also where the gauge is according to the detector, although this doesnt make sense because it doesn't leak at all when the valve is completely closed. so i'm assuming the valve is leaking when i turn it on.

where can i get something like this fixed? heading down to baja this friday for a couple of weeks and thinking i should get it fixed before i head out. it's 3/4 full now so i'm assuming i need to drain the tank before gettingit fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack K View Post
Definitely not normal. Something like this http://content.amprobe.com/DataSheet...20Detector.pdf would help in locating where the leak is.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #4

Spray soapy water to find the leak. I had a very similar issue and thought it was the valve, but it turned out the regulator was leaking. It's usually under a cover you have to remove to see and / or spray with soapy water. It's a bad idea to let this go, propane is quite explosive. Lots of the places you fill the tank at will have parts, and many will replace things like regulators for you. If they don't, ask who nearby might.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #5

thanks! found the leak using your suggestion and it is indeed the regulator that is attached to the valve.

anyone have a decent place they go to in the sf/oakland/walnut creek area? it's surprisingly difficult to find a decent place. I tried two places today and one no longer filled tanks and the other couldn't be bothered to fill my tank for some lame reason.

QUOTE=arctictraveller;242585]Spray soapy water to find the leak. I had a very similar issue and thought it was the valve, but it turned out the regulator was leaking. It's usually under a cover you have to remove to see and / or spray with soapy water. It's a bad idea to let this go, propane is quite explosive. Lots of the places you fill the tank at will have parts, and many will replace things like regulators for you. If they don't, ask who nearby might.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-18-2018, 10:14 PM   #6

Action Rentals on Folsom St in SF. I'm sure they'd also have a replacement regulator.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
If you don't want to do it yourself you might call a larger propane distributor and ask if they work on RV propane systems. In Modesto I've had JS West do some custom work but a lot of them don't want the liability dealing with RV's. You might look for an RV shop that deals with propane installations.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:50 PM   #8

will give them a call tomorrow. after some more investigating it doesn't appear to be the regulator but some tee adapter that sits between the vavle and the regulator. it's leaking at the connection to the regulator on the threaded male side of the tee where the female part of the regulator screws on to. I think i can just remove it re-apply some plumbers paste and then reinstall. sounds like a pretty basic job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Action Rentals on Folsom St in SF. I'm sure they'd also have a replacement regulator.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:18 AM   #9

Don't use plumbers paste. Use gas fitter's rated pipe dope or tape.

Don't use it on flare fittings. Torque alone must seal it.

Other fittings only apply it to the male half of the connection.

If any of this doesn't make sense hire a professional.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:10 AM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I had installed one of those adapters on my tank. They have lots of names-extend-a-stay, propane tee, stay longer. Anyway, they’re nice for being able to hook up your propane stove or other things right to your on board tank.

Sounds like the fittings just need to be tightened, using 2 adjustable wrenches. Using some pipe dope wouldn’t hurt either. Have fun in Baja, missed going down there this year
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote