Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2022, 04:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Questions.. What is the purpose of filling with water after the propane has been burned off? How do you ensure all of the water is out of the tank prior to refilling with propane LPG? What happens given the leftover water that remains on the inside walls of the tank?

In the event your refinishing technique of choice could cause a spark, after emptying, the water displaces any residual propane that might be left in the tank. Welder/fabricators who weld on used fuel tanks, adding a bung or port, use this technique. Residual water? A feller could dump in several ounces of alcohol, which will combine with the water, and evaporate off easier. I'd leave it in the warm sun for a couple days, and call it good without overthinking it.

I refinished mine while it was half-full (or half-empty, depending on your philosophy of things, LOL) with a twisted knot wire wheel in my 4" angle grinder, 4"x4" electric sander, and hand sanding. Like the OP, I also didn't take it down to bare metal, just the surface and lightly pitted rusty spots. I painted mine with a brush, Rustoleum gray, and it came out bitchin'

Old 01-26-2022, 07:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
I painted mine with a brush, Rustoleum gray, and it came out bitchin'
Excellent - thank you. Mine is almost empty and needs a new regulator, so I will use the opportunity to remove it from the van and refinish it.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:58 PM   #13

You just heat the tank up with a torch!

Kidding!

I left mine standing on its end with all the plugs, valves, and connections pulled until I figured it was dry.

Swishing a half quart of methanol in it and then dumping that out would absorb the water too.

Remember to have it purged before the first fill to eliminate any residual air.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:22 PM   #14

It's been 2 years since I refinished the tank and it is still looking like new.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:23 PM   #15

A bump for this excellent thread and also a question. How do you know when your regulator is fritzing?

I've got a propane smell but not enough to trigger the carbon monoxide and propane detectors.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:13 PM   #16

Garage
I didnt know this until I had my tank replaced a couple years ago and the guys at that shop told me - so I asked the people at a Propane Fill station shortly after, and they acknowledged the same:

Recommendations:
All gas hoses and clips should be replaced every two-five years
Gas regulators (Gas cylinder regulators) should be replaced after every five- seven years.

This may be helpful for self diagnosis: (but states 10yrs for the regulator):
https://boatbasincafe.com/how-to-tel...ulator-is-bad/
Old 05-01-2022, 07:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I didnt know this until I had my tank replaced a couple years ago and the guys at that shop told me - so I asked the people at a Propane Fill station shortly after, and they acknowledged the same:

Recommendations:
All gas hoses and clips should be replaced every two-five years
Gas regulators (Gas cylinder regulators) should be replaced after every five- seven years.

This may be helpful for self diagnosis: (but states 10yrs for the regulator):
https://boatbasincafe.com/how-to-tel...ulator-is-bad/
Ha, mine is 17 years old then. Great info, thanks!
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 03:28 PM   #18

Onboard Propane Tank - Age - Refilling ?

So my on board propane tank (7 gal I think ?) is 2002 vintage. It reads just over 1/2 full. It visually looks great - as the van is 2002 - BUT - van only had 3,780 actual miles on it - and kept in controlled environment garage. When - legally - would a store/propane supplier stop filling the tank due to age - dated tank manufacture, etc.

Would forum members recommendation be to have tank replaced -- no leaks or issues to date - but I have not turned it on - to supply/run the onboard Suburban furnace or exterior propane stove.

Thoughts !?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:22 PM   #19

Garage
I would replace the hoses, clamps, & the regulator, but doesn't seem to be a need to replace the tank - Some good info in this article (and offers some pictures):
https://camperreport.com/propane-tank-safety/

Half way through is this entry:

Propane Tank Safety Tip #3 – Requalify your tanks
As of this writing, propane tanks must be requalified 12 years after the date of manufacture. You can find that date stamped onto the collar of the bottle. After the first 12 year period, tanks must at least get a visual inspection. Then they are suitable for another five years.

All requalification dates will be stamped on the collar of the bottle as well. There may be several, so you have to find the most recent one. Use the photos below to reference what a manufacturer’s date stamp looks like compared to a requalification stamp.

A date of manufacture stamp and a requalification date stamp on a propane tank.
On the left, you can see an original manufacturer’s date stamp, and on the right, a tank that was recertified. The E means the tank is good for five years.
Motorhome exceptions
The propane tanks mounted to motorhomes are made slightly different and not subject to the same inspection laws as portable DOT tanks. They are known as ASME tanks because the American Society of Mechanical Engineers approves them. These tanks do not require you to requalify them.

Inspecting ASME tanks yourself is a definite RV maintenance task. You can also take your RV to a service location that provides propane LP inspection service. Many RV service locations offer LP system inspections. They will not only look at your tanks, but they will also inspect the entire propane system’s function, which is the next tip on the list
Old 06-29-2022, 07:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
So my on board propane tank (7 gal I think ?) is 2002 vintage. It reads just over 1/2 full. It visually looks great - as the van is 2002 - BUT - van only had 3,780 actual miles on it - and kept in controlled environment garage. When - legally - would a store/propane supplier stop filling the tank due to age - dated tank manufacture, etc.

Would forum members recommendation be to have tank replaced -- no leaks or issues to date - but I have not turned it on - to supply/run the onboard Suburban furnace or exterior propane stove.

Thoughts !?

You're fine on the tank's age, it's likely a Manchester ASME tank, certified for the life of the vehicle it was installed in. If there's any rust, you want to address that asap. Occasionally the guy running the fill station will scrutinize even surface rust on a BBQ DOT bottle, but not usually on a motorhome installed ASTM tank, has been my experience.

twoexentrix makes a very goo point of hoses and regulator. Advice I'd follow. I had a regulator diaphragm rupture (older Dodge c class) the first day of a week long outing, 100 miles from nowhere, could have ruined the trip if not for a spare.