Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 04:59 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I've had two different E-Series broken into, same scenario with the punched lock. First one required the 40 front side door to be repaired due sheet metal damage, the second they punched the rear door lock cylinder---too easy IMHO.

I did add an aftermarket alarm but went sought additional ways to keep the crooks out. Went with Slick Locks (https://www.slicklocks.com/ then onto AutoBolt; url=http://theautobolt.com/]Home - The Auto Bolt[/url] and finally onto an unknown brand of electric deadbolt locks available from a few different sources--one here in the USA: https://www.a1electric.com/catalog/cat_dead.htm

The current Autobolt offerings are much much better than what I originally bought and installed however they still have the problem of how to disengage them should the plunger solenoid fail. I had this happen twice with their parts and would have been royally screwed had that failure not been an intermittent situation

With a bit of "engineering" I've concocted a way to release the A1 Electric locks from inside in a way that most criminals would not easily find. Its not convenient but its better than having no release method at all.

My van is a work only thing with highly restricted access to the back where all the valuables are stored. The only way inside the van is opening a front door which sounds the alarm--for whatever THAT'S worth these days.

These locks when engaged would require the exposed parts of the both doors hinges be cut away in order to gain access through the side or rear entry. Punch the locks all you like, break glass but there's no way to defeat the deadbolt locks.

On another front I'm still formulating how to disable the engine---probably be a manual switch shutting off fuel---the specifics of that still not 100% set in my mind. Biggest issue is where to hide a manual switch that would be tough to find.

Anyway that's been my approach and so far the deadbolts have worked perfectly---or no one's tried breaking in?!?!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #12

Dang JWA your not messing around dude! I’ve never heard of those auto bolts before, if I had a high dollar rig or expensive tools I might go that route, it seems like you’ve put an enormous mount of work into your rig and I’m sure it’s well worth it. Its almost like one of those armored bank vans now! I did order a set of those Jimmie Jammers last night and a new lock, I think thats about all the energy I can muster up for my old beater van for now.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #13

Jerks!! get a GPS system for it ASAP.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #14

Does Slick Locks offer something for the Front Doors ?
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
Jerks!! get a GPS system for it ASAP.
I just installed one in my van, super easy to install and it works great

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ons-24855.html

I also use a steering wheel lock knowing full well they are easy to defeat, but I figure that anything that slows them down is good, and with the alarm blaring they might just give up. A fuel pump and starter disconnect is another easy install. Lastly, I installed a gate type latch on the inside of the rear door, making it impossible to open from the outside no matter what.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I did add an aftermarket alarm but went sought additional ways to keep the crooks out. Went with Slick Locks (https://www.slicklocks.com/ then onto AutoBolt; url=http://theautobolt.com/]Home - The Auto Bolt[/url] and finally onto an unknown brand of electric deadbolt locks available from a few different sources--one here in the USA: https://www.a1electric.com/catalog/cat_dead.htm
The current Autobolt offerings are much much better than what I originally bought and installed however they still have the problem of how to disengage them should the plunger solenoid fail. I had this happen twice with their parts and would have been royally screwed had that failure not been an intermittent situation
With a bit of "engineering" I've concocted a way to release the A1 Electric locks from inside in a way that most criminals would not easily find. Its not convenient but its better than having no release method at all.
I've been looking at the Autobolt solution for my Transit, but had not seen the A1 before. Could you go into how the Autobolt has improved, the difference between that and the A1, and if you were starting over which way you'd go?

The Autobolt seems to have a way to disengage the deadbolt from inside - as long as you can rig a pull mechanism for the backside of the bolt. Thanks.
tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #17

I hope an elephant with the runs sit on the thieving bastards faces:

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Don't feel like the Lone Stranger. I've had that happen twice on my Express van. The idiots went through all that trouble to break my locks but never got in. I do have a Lojack system installed in both my vehicles.

I had a steering wheel lock but when I saw how easily it is defeated, I tried to change to a brake pedal lock but it wouldn't fit my Express van so I made my own braided cable and padlock arrangement. Sure they could work at it and defeat it all while the alarm is going but so far so good. One of the times they broke the locks, I had the battery out on a charging stand in my garage so now I have a small back up battery just for the alarm system.
newoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #18
JWA

Been AWOL a few days---working on my own damned build out--weather has turned against me so apologies for not replying sooner..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
Does Slick Locks offer something for the Front Doors ?
I don't know---its been 5-6 years since I installed them. They should have a website and by now would have/should have offered new products? Great quality and easy no-drill installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka View Post
I've been looking at the Autobolt solution for my Transit, but had not seen the A1 before. Could you go into how the Autobolt has improved, the difference between that and the A1, and if you were starting over which way you'd go?

The Autobolt seems to have a way to disengage the deadbolt from inside - as long as you can rig a pull mechanism for the backside of the bolt. Thanks.
Having BTDT with the original Autobolt's which were largely plastic or composite material I would still be concerned how to disengage them should a solenoid fail. The SS cases are nice--very nice but unless they've completely re-engineered the solenoid actuation method I'm still skeptical. I don't see the mechanical provision one could attach a manual release device or system. Their idea the new versions have been designed and tested to be long lasting doesn't help---having had one fail in the locked position I'm not convinced.

FWIW I added the dead bolts to only the side and rear doors--there's typically nothing up front I'm too concerned about.

The A1 offerings are not as sexy as the Autobolt's but I know from experience now they're "easily" made more reliable with a manual way to unlatch them in the event of a device failure. A bit of history (hopefully not guilding the lily. )

Here's the A1 type device as it arrives:

I crafted a pull cable attached to the extended plunger of the above device to retract it once engaged. This cable is routed in such a way it can be accessed from inside the van---my intention was to unlatch the side doors first so I could crawl inside and find my way to the rear door with a similar arrangement. That looks like this:

I added a thimble as a hand or finger hold:

The cable I used is simple vinyl coated steel rope---the ferrules and thimbles all available at any home center or hardware supply.

Keep in mind my van is a work only and doesn't have a hard partition between the cabin and the rear area it with my tool boxes and such it would be nearly impossible to get into the rear.

When the passenger side front door is opened one can fumble around for the cable inside a door compartment I built for other purposes. its somewhat disguised behind some bottles---honestly I reply on lack of knowledge of its presence as a way to hide it even exists. Reaching between the seat and B-Pillar the cable is easily found--if you know where it is--and retract the dead bolt.

If a crook gains access to the front (breaking the door glass) once the door is opened the alarm will sound. That's not fool proof but it's typically enough to chase the crooks off. I am replying on that to dissuade to look around for the pull cable's existence.

I did watch with great curiosity their short video where they ask for fleet owners and up fitters to share ideas how a mechanical release could be or has been fitted by an actual installer. Not bashing Autobolt but my confidence slips a bit more when they've not devised something on their own. With all fairness the A1 offerings don't include or suggest a mechanical release their design lends itself to adding one as I did.

HTH
Old 11-13-2019, 04:43 AM   #19
JWA

I want to amend my thoughts on the newest incarnation of the AutoBolt offereings---light years improved over those I bought way back in 2013. I contacted Greg @ AutoBolt---creator of same ---via email and he was helpful explaining the improvements and directed me towards a few videos buried in their website.

What I like most about the AutoBolt is they're completely self-contained whereas the A1 type devices use a cable pulled/pushed engagement of the locking bolt. Both devices will do their intended job perfectly but given the newer innovations of AutoBolt installation is greatly simplified, could be successfully accomplished by most any DIY-type person.

The AutoBolt do indeed have a mechanical over ride feature whose development and inclusion was prompted by fleet operators who were concerned of people being trapped inside a van if the dead bolts were deployed. Without a way to manually defeat them they could present safety issues if deployed in a collision or fire.

I think both dead bolt systems are worthy of consideration as their cost is similar, both do a good job of securing doors but for installation I'd say the AutoBolt's have a slight advantage.

HTH
Old 11-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #20

Just picked up my van from the local stereo shop down the street. I had a Python/viper 5706p alarm installed with the 2 way pager and auto start option. Seems like they did a pretty clean install and I’m excited for the auto start! Tomorow when I get up I can have this puppy all warmed up before I jump in at 4:30am...

I had zero intention of getting a alarm system installed before this break in the other day, but now I’m thinking about my poor vans safety every time I park it and walk away. And I’m still gonna put that old club on the steering wheel out of habit too. Ha ha .