Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2019, 07:37 AM   #1

Punched out lock..

Hey fellas some thieving bastard broke into my van this weekend. They only stole about $500 bucks worth of gear, tools and some clothes. I had my club on the steering wheel so I guess I’m kinda lucky they didn’t steel my whole rig! It looks like they jammed something into my driver side door lock on my 2009 e350 and then twisted/pried it breaking the tumblers. Is that what they mean by lock punched out ? Is this a easy fix?

I want the new lock to match the rest with the same key, any recommendations where to purchase the new lock? I imagine I purchase a lock first and have it keyed and then install it after? I’m pretty busy at work lately, I’d like to repair it myself but might have my local shop take a look at it if it’s a big pain in the butt..

Thanks for any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
D880860B-7554-46BB-A161-99E9B34177D9.jpg   882FB2D9-E5DB-49D8-BDEE-EB7D3A268D63.jpg   0B2EA93F-309F-4E7E-A3BC-350084FCA38A.jpg  

PRERUNNERCAMPERVANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #2

That really sucks. But it’s good you didn’t lose your van.

It reminded me that I want to install the Jimmi Jammer. It is designed to reduce the risk of the lock being punched out. I say reduce, because a determined thief will find a way. They make parts for the Econoline vans.

They also have repair kits to help fix the damage of a punched lock.

https://jimmijammer.com/JJ%20descrip...500choice.html
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #3

Hey thanks cthayn I would of never found or thought of this! I might need that repair kit they sell, since the surrounding of the lock on the door might be slightly tweaked .
And yes I am VERY thankful I still have my rig.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:54 AM   #4

Garage
I had something similar happen in San Antonio but there wasn't all that damage to the paint. The body shop was able to straighten out the area around the area around the lock and replace the lock without it needing any new paint.

The thieves grabbed a box with some books, half a set of what used to be referred to as walkie-talkies an old laptop and the interior part of an inside outside thermometer. It wouldn't have profited him very much but cost me, or rather, the insurance company about $450, minus the deductible. I've since had an alarm installed but I'm considering something to disable the engine, also.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #5

Garage
Yes, thanks CTHayn. I had never heard of the JimmiJammer. I would hate to be halfway across the country and find my van missing and that sounds like a good solution for preventing it (most of the time,at least).
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #6

I recently installed the PunchPlug's prior to my trip to SA (I can't even think of when I ever used a physical key to get into the van). While installing these it is easy to see how someone can get into an Econoline van exactly the way they got into yours. I know of another traveler to SA that installed the JimmiJammer's.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2463.jpg  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
Site Team

The pics of the damage, the circle around the lock mechanism, makes it look like they may have used a slide hammer to punch out your lock. Losers.

Sorry about your troubles.

Herb
Old 10-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #8

I like those punch plugs, I never use my keys either! I’m wondering though if they were on all the doors and the keyless entry stopped working how I’d get in the van? At the minimum I think I’ll do the Jimmie jammer while I’m inside the door. You know I think I would have rather they just smashed my window out, it would be less frustrating..,
Old 10-28-2019, 04:15 PM   #9

Question about the club. I thought those were deemed pretty useless because thieves were just cutting through the steering wheel and sliding the club off. Is there a new design thats sturdier?

Also, does the jimmijammer prevent the lock being "slim jim'd"? Just curious since I've had to call AAA one time to get a van unlocked.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #10

Hey Mikracer, yeah I’ve known about the cutting the steering wheel trick and figure the thieves do as well. I’ve been using the Club for a long time especially on my soft top Jeep mainly hoping they see it as something that might slow them down a little and pass on it.. Who knows but it helps me feel slightly better knowing it’s on there. I also have a fake alarm light I rigged on my dash to deter them, that didn’t stop this guy though.

I don’t know if you can still slimjim a jimmijammer? I’m gonna research that.