Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #1

QQ - Shocks/Coil Springs for 2000 E150 2WD?

Quick question: I have a 2000 E150 GTRV that I am about to install new shocks, maybe front coil springs to reduce sway? Seeking recommendations for a fully loaded van that is likely near top of weight - are there heavier-duty options? Would like to reduce some of the sway.

Thanks in advance - Peter

Weebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:01 PM   #2

Coils - stiffer progressive rate springs, if not installed, might help. I do not know if the springs that are usually called out for the E350 will work on the 2000 vintage E150 suspension.

Shocks- Agile Off Road has developed custom valved shocks. Might check w them. Ramsey (RIP) always felt away could be handled by shocks and springs. I still had a sway bar installed when he did our TTB 4x4 conversion.

Sway Bar(s) - definitely will help.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:09 PM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
While a better set of front coils might improve handling and some sway, check out the Moog catalog for the proper part # on front coils for your application, your best bet is a new rear spring pack to help with sway and better overall ride control and handling.
Deaver springs are popular but somewhat pricey option and they’ve also had a long lead time. Alcan springs in Grand Junction is another option, or try to find a local spring shop that might be able to make you a new set with the added weight of your van in mind.
Sway bars will certainly help, but tend to be a band aid on old worn out stock springs. Upgrade the shocks at the same time for another huge ride improvement, recommend either Bilstein or Fox
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:44 AM   #4

Upgrade to the new style 2008+ front suspension and larger brakes. It’s a bolt on swap and gets you heavier duty parts, much better brakes, a redesigned front sway bar, and more. You’ll need new wheels though as the newer setup uses 8-bolt wheels instead of your current wheels. Several threads on the forum on this upgrade.

New rear springs will also make a big difference. Even just stock type springs and not the fancy Deavers, etc.

The GTRVs were all built on E150s, which IMO are undersized for the weight of the build.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
The GTRVs were all built on E150s, which IMO are undersized for the weight of the build.
The "Hay day" of GTRV seems to be right around 2000 or so and most (but not all) were on E150 chassis. You are not alone in your opinion - I am told that at some point, GTRV stopped using the E150 platform for that very reason. Interestingly, I once had a 1982 Sportsmobile on a Chevy half-ton chassis with 305 - I had a lousy experience with it, only marginally better than the 1974 VW Westfalia with 1700cc it replaced. Compared to both, the GTRV top is very low - same height as a stock van so is more often garage-agble. However, I prefer the slight increase in interior height of the SMB when top is down. Everything is a compromise I suppose.

Thanks for all the tips.....

Peter
Weebles is offline   Reply With Quote