Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Question about Sportsmobile Shopping

Hello! I have been lurking on these forums for a while now and searching for a Sportsmobile. I'm not looking to go crazy off roading or anything but would like to just have a nice touring vehicle that can handle some dirt/gravel roads.

I saw this on our local craigslist: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3559126694.html

Is there anything I should be concerned with other then the age related issues (wear and tear/rust)? Any advice on older Sportsmobiles? Any thoughts on other sites to look for one? I'm using a combination of craigslist, this forum, the sportsmobile website and rvtrader.

Thanks!

Jaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxie
Hello! I have been lurking on these forums for a while now and searching for a Sportsmobile. I'm not looking to go crazy off roading or anything but would like to just have a nice touring vehicle that can handle some dirt/gravel roads.

I saw this on our local craigslist: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3559126694.html

Is there anything I should be concerned with other then the age related issues (wear and tear/rust)? Any advice on older Sportsmobiles? Any thoughts on other sites to look for one? I'm using a combination of craigslist, this forum, the sportsmobile website and rvtrader.

Thanks!
That's a good deal. Get it.

Just take your time inspecting it. Test to make sure everything works. Check for leaks, funny noises and smells.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #3

Re: Question about Sportsmobile Shopping

From what I remember the past owner took great care of the rig and might have spent quite a long time in CA before being up North.

I was thinking of buying for our son but he wanted something in the 4x4 venue
Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

It's helpful if the rear end is limited slip. Ask about that. You might want to look over the FAQ's Delivery Checklist and Tips for new and used SMB's

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6192

Get all the info then try to look it over and ask questions here...good luck

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #5

That era Econoline should have an overdrive transmission in it (E4OD). Make sure it shifts through the gears nicely and firmly. Early generation E4OD's like this one were sometimes prone to failure but that is typically in a pickup application when worked hard and overheated. If it was me, I'd plan to have the tranny fluid changed unless there was evidence that it was done recently.

IF it for some reason has the old C6 transmission, this only has 3 gears and no overdrive. Depending on your rear end gear ratio, this could be a deal breaker for cruising down the highway. The C6 is about as dependable as a hammer, but that lack of OD and lock up torque converter doesn't make it very economical for fun for freeway cruising.

If you are unfamiliar with the newer (92+) body style vans, you might want to go check one out and see if you can test drive just so you know the differences.

For my family, we are fine with the older vehicle as it allowed us to enter the world of Sportsmobiles that we might not have been able to financially swing otherwise.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #6

We have an 89 with the same body style and love it. We get around 14 mpg on the highway with the 3 speed automatic. Similar to Rockbender it allowed us to get into a SMB at a very reasonable price.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

And I still think the body style is sharp looking, unlike everything on the drawing board these days

Old 01-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #8

Thanks for the information guys! I've contacted the seller and now I'm trying to find a ride down to Portland to check it out.

Does anyone know how much weight that upper bed can hold? Can an adult sleep up there? Or is it kids only?
Jaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #9

The penthouse sleeps 2 adults. Ours has no problem with 300+#s.
On the other hand, kids will love sleeping up there if you're more comfortable downstairs.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

I think the weight SMB quotes is 500lb max but that might push it. I was told there was a guy who broke the bed (don't know if it was a combination weight of 2). It might also have been a bad (defective) board that caused the failure. Also there are different beds (one piece, 2 & 3) depending on the model.