Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2021, 01:42 PM   #1

Question On How to Properly Close Penthouse

Was hoping I could get advice on how to propertly close the penthouse. I am specifically interested in how to fold canvas (inward or outward), how to protect windows from being scratched when folded and how to center the penthouse so that it sits in the center of the roof versus close to one of the drip rails. FYI when
Thank you.

CoastLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:35 PM   #2

Assuming that you have a manual SMB top.....

The two bungees around the perimeter of the canvas makes sure that the canvas does not stick out of the closed top; I've never had to "manage" the canvas; it always gets pulled in when lowering the top.

When closing the roof, it does have a little side-to-side slop.....this is especially noticeable when parked a little "tilted"..the roof hangs off the rain gutter on one side sometimes. In this case I get my shoulder under the closed roof and lift it up a few inches and "persuade" it to one side or the other when re-closing. I also do this to clear my awning on the way down the first time sometimes.

I can usually tell the the roof is not centered side-to-side when down by the way the J-hooks are latching as well.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:02 PM   #3

I was told early on to make sure that the canvas folds don't get pinched between the cross bars as they come down - - I also just "push" the front fold of the canvas in so that it doesn't rub against the two roof latches - pushing it towards the cab roof maybe 4-5 inches. So long as you are on level ground the top should come down pretty equal all the way around - unless your cross bars are bent to port or starboard.
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:29 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
I was told early on to make sure that the canvas folds don't get pinched between the cross bars as they come down - - I also just "push" the front fold of the canvas in so that it doesn't rub against the two roof latches - pushing it towards the cab roof maybe 4-5 inches. So long as you are on level ground the top should come down pretty equal all the way around - unless your cross bars are bent to port or starboard.
^^^I have an electric top, but pretty much do the same as doublevan2^^^

Keeping the windows clean & conditioned will most certainly help minimize any cracking and/or scratching as it folds into itself (dirt and dust begin to act as sandpaper on the clear vinyl Isinglass). Might check out these for cleaning/conditioning:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ion-29260.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ner-28503.html

If the glass is already looking poorly (haze or fog), might consider some of the products out there that help restore the glass:

Old 12-09-2021, 09:47 PM   #5

In addition, keep a window or door open to let the excess volume of air escape as you bring the top down.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:08 AM   #6

From the manual:
"PENTHOUSE TOP
4.1 TO ELEVATE
1. Unlock front and rear latches, unhook the front and rear bed hooks. This will lessen the weight of the
top and make it easier to raise
2. Open a door or window to relieve air pressure.
3. Push up using front handles. Note: Be sure the front 2 hold down “J” hooks are clear of the front
sidewalls, as the hooks could damage the sidewalls of front screen when the top is raised.
WARNING: Do not operate the top if you have a neck, back or some other physical problem as it
could aggravate your condition.
4. To lower the bed. First, unhook the rear of the bed and carefully lower to the bottom support rails.
Then unhook the front and lower. The bed can be slid to the front or rear of the top opening.
4.2 TO LOWER
1. Close front flap and vinyl side windows. If you do not close the front flap the “J” hooks could damage
the front screen the next time you raise the top.
2. Open a window or door to relieve air pressure.
3. To lower the top - unhook bed “rear only Leave the front of the bed hooked to the ceiling. The weight
of the front of the bed will make it easier to lower the top.
4. Pull down. Do not pull down too fast, as this will cause the sidewalls to “balloon” out.
5. Note: Stop the top when it is about half way down. “Bump” the front corners forward. This will cause
the front side walls to fold forward and look neater, please see photo’ below.
6. Lock front and rear latches.
WARNING: Lock top down before driving.
4.3 TOP DOES NOT LINE UP IN VAN DRIP RAILS WHEN DOWN
1. If you are not parked on level ground, the top will pull to the lower side. To compensate, pull the top
slightly to the opposite side when lowering. Or, you can push the top into the drip rail after it is
lowered and before it is locked down.
2. The top “floats” on the dual U-tubes inside the upholstered compartments that are bolted through the
roof. Over time the top can slowly work its way over to one side or the other. To correct this, have one
person raise and hold the top about 12” up. Have a second person from outside the van push the top
over to the opposite side. By some trial and error the top can be realigned with the van drip rails.
4.4 MAINTENANCE
1. There’s really little to do.
2. Occasionally you may need to adjust the 3 lock down latches by turning the “J” bolt hooks. When the
top is locked down, all 3 latches should be snug.
3. The sidewalls should be washed with warm soapy water occasionally.
4. Every 6 months or so the rubber bumper around the penthouse shell should be sprayed with silicone.
5. Decorative plastic caps on top of the penthouse shell can deteriorate over time. Please call Sportsmobile to have free replacement caps sent.
WARNING: Do not loosen the lock-down “J” bolts to less than 4 threads
"

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:17 AM   #7

Garage
Thanks for this, Scalf77!