Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #1

Questions about my build...

I'm attempting to make final decisions on my build but need some guidance..
Here's what I've got so far, and below are my initial questions.. I'm sure more are to come..

How many seatbelted passengers can fit on the "Gaucho: 79-1/3" front-rear, 48-1/4" side-side"?

Are the tables collapseable and completely removable? like this---

If so, with the tables removed, is there enough walking space for a 95lb labradoodle to navigate through?

Can a large(ish) TV mount in place of bottom "WindowSlider3_15x42: 42-1/4" front-rear"?

Can a TV mount in penthouse bed area? If so, what happens when it's lowered?

When I try to place the bathroom in the rear, it forces the location all the way to the left of the vehicle on top of the bumper.. I had to hold it's position in place to take the screenshot.. is there an issue with positioning this over the wheel well? I hope not.. I really want to keep it in the back.

How inconspicuous, or "stealth" is the 4x4 option? I've seen some that stick out more than others. I plan to do some urban dwelling and I want this vehicle to blend in with the majority of the commercial vehicles in the area. Which brings me to my last question..

Even though I plan to take two-week trips with two friends and a dog, I'm still trying to avoid the extended body due to the tight locations we want to visit. Anyone have any experiences with the ford eb in cities like NYC? I cant even imagine trying to parallel park that thing..

Those are all the Q's i can think of right now.. sorry for the long post. I don't expect all the answers, but any input you can provide will defiantly help.

Thanks!

kelpkelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Questions about my build...

There are some fairly stealthy 4x4's out there. Stock wheel covers and bumpers help. Have you had a chance to actually look inside an RB and EB? It might change your mind or at least point you in the right direction. I wanted a RB but just couldn't go that route for the storage alone but I have certain wants. Considering people can live out of a backpack makes even an RB look huge.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpkelp
When I try to place the bathroom in the rear, it forces the location all the way to the left of the vehicle on top of the bumper.. I had to hold it's position in place to take the screenshot.. is there an issue with positioning this over the wheel well? I hope not.. I really want to keep it in the back.
I think the reason the plan builder keeps pushing it backwards is because it is programmed to not be placed over a wheel well for obvious reasons...it just won't fit.

Wheel wells and the fuel tank filler tube housing are things that SMB has to work around.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:42 PM   #4

I was thinking that..

hmm.. if I did an EB vehicle, it will let me place the shower/toilet in the back no problem..

Still hesitant about the eb in tight cities though.

How about the "DinetteW: 48-1/4" front-rear, 70-1/4" side-side"?
When expanded into a bed, can it comfortably sleep two?
When collapsed, can it seat four belted passengers?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 AM   #5

We have a dinette that is about 53" wide. It could sleep two comfortably, if you aren't too tall. I'm 6'1", or 73". I can't fit on it stretched out on my back, but could if I sleep on my side with legs curled up. My better half is 5'8" (68") and can lay flat on it, though her toes touch the wall of the van.

I guess the other issue is can you sleep in 24" of width each? You are camping, so it's not like you're staying at the Ritz.

For reference, a queen bed is 60" x 80" if that helps.

On ours, SMB put recesses into the walls on each side of the dinette. While it does technically increase the L to R distance across the van, the recesses aren't as wide as the dinette, nor do they extend up high enough over the cushions to put your head or feet into.

As for seating, SMB placed 3 sets of seat belts under the dinette on each side, so again -- technically speaking -- it can seat 6. It would be cramped though, as there is isn't a lot of space in the aisle between the seats. If you are transporting Munchkins on a regular basis, you'd be okay. Normal-sized people would likely be bumping knees.

In my opinion, the planner tool on SMB's website seems to portray aisle widths quite generously. I would advise that you accurately measure your needed space and take the visuals on the SMB website with a couple large grains of salt.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:50 AM   #6

I agree.. I saw some shots of the isle width and that table base takes up 100% of it.. not much passing through happening there..

that being said, sleep comfort is a big one for me, and I can definatly see those that config not having much leg room.. im a big guy.. and there'll be two more.. and a dog!

back to the drawing board..

This config might provide maximum sleeping room (including PH bed), useable toilet/shower and cooking area, but im concerned the stovetop is too close to the doorway.. any ideas how this design might look in real life?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:11 AM   #7

..on second thought.. i better vent that bathroom and add a window-

actually.. I'm really starting to like this last configuration.. with the tables removed, my dog would still have a bit of room to hop off the bed and drink some water during the night..

think that stove overlapping the doorway is going to cause trouble?
might help it vent maybe?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
Site Team

Personally, I think the configuration is based on how many people will be in the SMB at a given time, and if you will be inside the SMB frequently while camped, or primarily for sleeping. If camping frequently in bad weather, a lot of interior space to hang out can be very important. If designing for two adults, a rear dinette is great, for four adults, a front dinette and rotating driver's and passenger's seats are a great solution.

Herb
Old 03-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #9

Here's our plan, very approximately. Our galley intrudes on the barn door space more than the plan can show.

Here's a couple photos with the 40% barn door open and closed. The 23" refers to the distance from the base of the stove cabinet to the edge of the opening of the 60% door, measured at the floor. The door and the swing up countertop reduce that dimension a couple inches. It's a narrow opening, but I'm used to it.

Our 60 door has a pop-out window. I open that when using the stove when it's cold or windy, otherwise I like opening both doors when it's warm.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #10

hmm you're right.. this is going to be tighter than i thought.
That sketch shows your galley hardly overlapping the door, but the in the photo it's quite pronounced..

Although I really didnt want to, I might have to break up the sink and stove, like this-

What are your thoughts on having the bathroom right directly behind the driver? I'm assuming theres no where to hide from offensive oders in a camper so small, so does it really make it worse for the driver?

Also, can I attach a flipdown desk on the bathroom wall so I can swivel backwards and work on my laptop?