Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2020, 02:59 PM   #1

Questions from a new owner of a used Sportsmobile Ford 2007 RB50 gas

Hi, I apologise if I am using this forum incorrectly. My dream finally came true and I just bought a 2007 Ford 2wd RB50 gas Sportsmobile! I have a few questions.

1) It is registered as an automobile. Is it preferable to register this as an RV or Auto? Is pricing for registration and insurance better if insured RV vs Automobile?

2) I live in Pacifica CA (South of San Francisco). Does anybody know a local mechanic familiar with these rigs?

3) Are there any members with a similar build that are local to SF who would like to meet up for a coffee, beer or just have a discussion about these rigs? I purchased it from a gentleman who was limited physically and he did not go over the rig with me and it is quite intimidating with all the switches etc.

bkubit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:27 PM   #2

Usually rv registration and insurance is cheaper. Watch out though, many policies limit the number of miles you can drive in a year. Also, some HOAs don’t allow RV registered vehicles to park on the street.

Check to see if your previous owner left you the owners manual for your van. Walk through that to gain some familiarity. There are a bunch of members near you, but I don’t know if any regular meet ups.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:57 AM   #3

Garage
Does it already have an oval shaped RV registration decal affixed to the rear of the van (usually located just underneath the drivers side rear tail light)? If so, that streamlines any attempt to register is as an RV (if it’s not already classified as such).
Old 02-02-2020, 08:01 AM   #4

Congrats. As stated about it's usually much cheaper to insure as RV but I would consult an agent or three. You live in California, all bets on rationality are off.

Remember that it's just a Ford van with some RV bits added to it. Any RV dealer/camper shop is familiar with what's inside of it. Nothing inside it is new or unusual. As for the mechanicals any good Ford mechanic will do.

You'll always get good advice here, on the Expedition Portal vanlife forum, FTE forums van section, etc.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #5

Congratulations on your new rig!! If you have the original purchaser’s name SMB can pull up and send you all the docs they have for your rig. You would probably need to know which location built your SMB.

I am in SF anc happy to help out. Timing though is an issue as we will be away for an extended period. PM me w a ph # and maybe there is somethings I can identify via ph and text pics.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #6

We also bought used a few years ago. The previous title had it registered as a van, so when it was titled in my state that is what they classified it as. this became a problem when I went to insure it since it is worth far more than an 18 year old ford van. After talking to way too many agents, I finally found a broker who could work with me and insure it for what it was worth through Porgressive. And as someone already pointed out, we had no problems finding ford dealerships to work on it when we had issues on our 13000 mile trip last summer. Good luck to you!
chubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:12 AM   #7

I registered mine as an RV as it’s cheaper in San Diego area. I used a registration business rather than deal with the DMV...they do the whole thing for you and charge a 30 dollar fee. But it’s quick and painless.

I used GEICO for insurance and they insure it for all the improvements and keep a list of them on file.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:53 AM   #8

I heard somewhere that as an RV it can't be parked on streets and HOA's have regulations as well. I think there is more issues with parking restrictions for an RV as opposed to a passenger vehicle. I may have it backwards! Please correct me if I am wrong
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #9

I park on the street...everyday driver. No issues ever