Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #1

Quick signal bulb question

This I'm sure is simple but I wasn't sure so thought I'd ask.

I just got these smoked turn signal covers to match my blacked out bumper and grill.
Covers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-06-ECONOL...465627&vxp=mtr

Do I need to purchase amber bulbs also now, or can I use the stock bulbs? Are the stockers clear bulbs and the amber is done by the cover lens plastic?

If I do need to purchase new bulbs, can I pick the amber ones up at any auto parts store, or do should I order them now online so they arrive at the same time.

2000 E250

Any help appreciated. - S

smshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #2

Re: Quick signal bulb question

Stock bulbs are already amber tinted except on the '03-'07 vans.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smshield
Be ready to get pulled over too. I had a similar set on a car and got pulled over several times for "improper equipment". The state patrol finally made me remove them by citing me to a vehicle inspection. According to the police, those lights do not offer the correct reflective requirements that OEM styles do.

It probably says somewhere in small print "for off road use only"

A van may be off the average police officer's hit list, but I was driving a modern Police Interceptor at the time. Thought I was Teflon too...
Firetrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Probably depends on where you live or drive to. I've seen people around here put in blue blinker bulbs with clear lenes and get away with it...clearly against the law. I'm not saying that eventually they won't get nailed but I can't understand how all these idiots are getting away with those blue LED headlights that I'm being blinded by more and more every night

Like the previous post, I don't want to give LE any reason to pull me over because of something that looks cool.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #5

Garage

Quote:
^^^ i guarantee they have that somewhere on/in the packaging. some even come with small pieces of amber reflector with double sided sticky tape that you can stick somewhere in each corner to cover thier ass if they dont have that warning. companies like that usually find some kind of loophole so they can contnue sales.

those corners are cool looking, but they are illegal for a reason. at night with an amber bulb, they will light up fine, but not having a chrome enclosure to radiate light during the day is actually kinda dangerous as other motorists really wont be able to see them as well as youd think. remember the clear taillight phaze for the ricer cars? same kinda deal. light up fine at night, but cant see them for shit in the daytime. theres a reason you dont see those anymore...

i dont remember the exact size (taillights need a 2x2" piece of red reflector in them to be legal), but you are required to have a certain amount of amber reflector in each front corner of all vehicles. ive actually been pulled over for yellow corner bulbs in a few of my cars. the officers even went as far as looking for the DOT insignia that all USDM vehicles are required to have on each fixture. mine were headlights from japan and didnt have the DOT approval rating and I was given a warning to replace them. lights were identicle appearance wise, but didnt have amber in the enclosure. officer didnt notice that the taillights were lacking the reflector though, lol.

and yes, all blue and red lights are illegal on civilian vehicles as those colors are reserved for emergency vehicles. wether leo's choose to enforce that is thier decision, but red of blue lights is just asking for a pull over...and it will always be the worst possible time you could imagine, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #6

FWIW that same company does sell a DOT version with a reflector built in.

But just adding an external reflector will make the vehicle compliant. The reflector and side marker do not have to be integrated.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #7

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetrux
Quote:
Be ready to get pulled over too. I had a similar set on a car and got pulled over several times for "improper equipment". The state patrol finally made me remove them by citing me to a vehicle inspection. According to the police, those lights do not offer the correct reflective requirements that OEM styles do.

A van may be off the average police officer's hit list, but I was driving a modern Police Interceptor at the time. Thought I was Teflon too...
Oh

Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Site Team

What bugs me are the dark, dark, dark brake lights that some people have, many of which are darkened by the owners with spray paint. Nice and stylish, until you get rear ended becaused people can't see your brake lights. I guarantee that will be part of my courtroom defense if I ever hit someone with brakelights like that.

Herb
Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #9

Garage

^^^ and in this state youd win too. its illegal here to modify the lighting on your vehicle in any way. even the snap on/off tinted light covers from companies like GTS are illegal...even in the daylight hours (was not so politely informed of this from a state bull one morning).

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
...But just adding an external reflector will make the vehicle compliant. The reflector and side marker do not have to be integrated.
it can even be a piece of reflective tape, but it must be amber. can be any size or shape as well, but must have at least a 2"x2" mass iirc.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie

it can even be a piece of reflective tape, but it must be amber. can be any size or shape as well, but must have at least a 2"x2" mass iirc.
Yes, but it must be "retro-reflective" to comply. (Retro-reflective means it will reflect back from any angle. Standard reflective tape only works when perpendicular).