Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #1

Garage
raising manual Penthouse when loaded - tips??

OK, any tips from you guys about raising the PH when you have a bunch of crap up there? I have a Thule box w/ 80-100lbs of gear up there (easy-up tent, chairs etc...) and it is an absolute bear to lift it. Any tips other than get the electronic version or empty the box first? Feels like I'm going to throw my back out, and no I'm not geriatric or nothing.

thanks

d

Old 10-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #2

You need a heavier spring (see Scalf77s comment):
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=198

I understand they can be adjusted.

That's probably the path you want to research if you don't want to go power PH, which I'd bet means going with a different van. ?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #3

I'm actually having SMB do a power PH upgrade. It is A LOT more expensive than doing it during the initial build, but I have varying loads on the roof (I have a cargo box and sometimes a kayak) and I have never been accused of being muscle bound. I plan to keep the van a long time, so should be a worthwhile investment. I'm taking it to Fresno next Monday (Oct. 15) and they need it a full week for the work. Also having solar prep done at the same time and other little odds and ends looked at.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #4

Yes I did a second 4D AGM for the same reason on my van (keeping a long time, worth the cost of upgrade) and also had solar wired at the same time. I love the PH because I've got back problems and hucking up the top even empty is probably not advised.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs
Does anyone have an idea on how to adjust, my top is very difficult to raise, and when I add my surfboard it is even more difficult.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:01 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Penthouse Manual vs Penthouse Electric

I don't YET know how to make this adjustment, but I think I will need to learn in the next few months.

Our SMB is on order and I think the Ford factory build starts this week of next.

We have not talked much about the electric option, being more concerned about layout. We have what we think will be out final penthouse top layout, and with rack, attachments, and gear it comes to about 300lbs.

The top itrself can handle the weight, so it seems like the onl issue will be rasing and lowering. The electric is supposed to handle 200lbs. That would seem to say that we would need to assist the electric assist motor???

What are the general thoughts on Electric versus Manual?

How do they each work for you?

Who likes what about each? ...and what do you not like?

I know some folks have added stabilizers, what other mod have been done?

Thanks,

Greg in Austin
SMB on Order

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #7

When I added a solar panel to our PH top the top would no longer stay up, and it was very hard to lift - and the panel was only about 25lbs.

So, I had to adjust the springs.

First, put the top up and block it up.

Then undo some screws that hold the covering over the springs (outside of the bed rails, to the rear of the top support arms)

The next part is really hard to describe. If you aren't mechanically inclined, get a friend who is mechanically inclined. It isn't hard, but you have to stretch the spring and attach to a different link on the chain. You will need some sort of a puller or hand winch to pull the spring. I believe I went 2 links on the chain for the solar panel.

When I went 1 link too many, the top would 'jump' up far too quickly. So, I'm not sure you can have a mechanical adjustment for varying loads. If your load changes, you will have to set enough preload to work with the heaviest load and try to restrain the top from going up too quickly when the load is less.

Good luck,

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
When I added a solar panel to our PH top the top would no longer stay up, and it was very hard to lift - and the panel was only about 25lbs.

So, I had to adjust the springs.

First, put the top up and block it up.

Then undo some screws that hold the covering over the springs (outside of the bed rails, to the rear of the top support arms)

The next part is really hard to describe. If you aren't mechanically inclined, get a friend who is mechanically inclined. It isn't hard, but you have to stretch the spring and attach to a different link on the chain. You will need some sort of a puller or hand winch to pull the spring. I believe I went 2 links on the chain for the solar panel.

When I went 1 link too many, the top would 'jump' up far too quickly. So, I'm not sure you can have a mechanical adjustment for varying loads. If your load changes, you will have to set enough preload to work with the heaviest load and try to restrain the top from going up too quickly when the load is less.

Good luck,

Mike

Great research and writeup. Looks like a fair amount of effort for a fixed amount of weight. For weight that may be changing (kayaks, bikes, cargo,...) I couldn't imagine going through this effort time and time again.

Herb
Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #9

Good info- if somebody gets a picture while doing this (probably not an action shot!) post it to projects in a new thread.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #10

I book marked this a long time ago which details the process.

http://www.fx4.net/smb_mods/tension/index.html

I haven't tried this myself. Part of the reason I'm going electric for the top is the ability to raise and lower the top evenly if you do not have an evenly distributed load on the roof. ..... that and I'm just tired of pushing it up and have varying loads.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote