Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #1

RB 6.0 Purchase Advice Sought

All,

Gave up my daily driver to my mother-in-law and my EB Chevy is not really fitting that bill as a daily driver, so thinking about selling it in favor of an RB.

We have a deposit on an '04 RB50 SMB 4x4 6.0 PSD on the SMB Texas site. ~200k miles on the rig , engine was replaced in '09 (still stock), has ~50k miles on it. Interior of the van is completely redone by SMB Texas for the resale at request of PO. I am aware of concerns with the PSD but I like the engine in spite of those but don't have any personal experience other than friends and reading posts here. Really like the SMB 4x4 conversion. Also, drivetrain has been rebuilt (except for front axle) over the last 2 years.

I am curious to know if anyone feels strongly one way or another about whether the van is worth committing a few $k to upgrading the rear diff and axle (has semi-floater) as well as putting ARP studs and deleting the EGR in the engine. I most likely would put a few hundred k miles on it daily driving, towing (10k#) and multiple long Baja trips every year. Resale at that level is not really a concern for me (within reason) if I can use the van, so the current mileage is not really material to me as long as I can get another couple hundred k miles out of it.

6.0 owners, would you buy one again? A friend of mine would in spite of EGR/oil cooler problems ('04 F350), would love to know if others share this feeling.

Would love to hear thoughts, always extremely impressed with the level of detail and knowledge here.

Thanks,
Steve

webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #2

Re: RB 6.0 Purchase Advice Sought

A stock van 6.0 doesn't need head studs to be reliable. Even stock F-Series PU's don't need studs, but modified engines (over 350HP) do need them. At 235HP the van is not subject to that level of stress.

An EGR delete (not just a block-off) will be beneficial if your state inspections allow it.

For the most part, a stock van 6.0 is pretty reliable. Don't idle it for long periods, change oil regularly, monitor FICM voltage, change fuel filters and only use OEM or Racor filters and you should be good to go.

And, a 6.0 can run on Mexican diesel.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #3

RB 6.0 Purchase Advice Sought

https://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Articles.asp?ID=342

Consider an ERG replace. Concur on the bolts. Monitor oil and coolant temps per recommendations posted all over the place.

Yes. I would purchase again.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #4

Good advice from these guys. EGR cooler delete if possible, EGT gauge, mild programmer, fuel filters every 10K, oil 5, (what I do, some do it different) and agree that the van shouldn't need head studs. What makes them blow head gaskets is EGR cooler failure.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Site Team

I'd buy a 6.0L again. Honestly, I'd rather have the 7.3L, but I'd go with the 6.0L again.

I'm in California, so there's no way I was going to risk an EGR delete, but I did go with BulletProof Diesel's EGR Cooler.

Herb
Old 12-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #6

Are you sure it is the SMB 4x4 conversion? You seem to imply that's important to you. I see that van on the Texas website. The high mileage must really bring down the value even with the 50K engine and fresh interior. I bet that is an interesting story on the engine replace. I personally would not buy another 6.0 because I do not trust it out in the boonies. I'm currently trying to decide whether to sell mine or "bulletproof" it along the lines of what has been mentioned here and with a reliable turbo and oil cooler.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
A stock van 6.0 doesn't need head studs to be reliable. Even stock F-Series PU's don't need studs, but modified engines (over 350HP) do need them. At 235HP the van is not subject to that level of stress.

An EGR delete (not just a block-off) will be beneficial if your state inspections allow it.

For the most part, a stock van 6.0 is pretty reliable. Don't idle it for long periods, change oil regularly, monitor FICM voltage, change fuel filters and only use OEM or Racor filters and you should be good to go.

And, a 6.0 can run on Mexican diesel.

Mike
Ditto. No power mods and regular maintenance seem to be a good combo. Our 6.0 has been the most reliable vehicle our family has ever owned.
R
Old 12-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #8

Does anyone have a suggestion on a shop in LA/OC California to have the bullet proofing done on a 6.0.
Millerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #9

http://locator.bulletproofdiesel.com/locator/

Looks like there are several in SC.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #10

I am going to take the plunge. I go to Texas Monday. I would like to reiterate what's been said before in other posts, the folks at SMB Texas have been fantastic. Paul and Susan are great.

Thanks to those who posted for all of the thoughts and great advice. Head lugs are less likely but I most likely will forge ahead with the EGR and full floater in the rear, either 14 bolt or D70, but that's for another discussion.

Pat, yes, it is the SMB 4x4 conversion, which I like with the larger brakes and otherwise generally upper shelf components and engineering. With respect to mileage, yes, I feel it's a relative value for me with all drive components redone, but then again I am going to put lots of miles on it as a daily driver, so my view may be different than the average buyer. I plan to drive it into the ground.

Thanks again!
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote