Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #21

Re: Nissan SMB

I was wondering how you go for so long with only microwave.Not a very big freezer compartment in your fridge.I don't think you will like the electric stove.Very slow,but they are pretty cheap so give it a try and let us know.the butane stove is quicker,small and won't suck up your batteries.Keep us posted.

stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #22

The short answer is a wide variety of canned goods and boxed soups stashed in plastic, stackable "shoe" boxes from Walmart. I also bought a dish pan that didn't fit where planned, but it fits in the area next to water tank that says "no flammables," and we keep cans we plan to use after we empty the pantry. I won't get into what is in the pantry. I'm not sure I really know. My wife keeps pulling stuff out.

Only 1 package of waffles fit in the freezer. When they are gone, it's time to look for a grocery store. For some reason, we can find waffles no matter how small the town. Don't always recognize the brand. Actually, it is fun grazing in small grocery stores.

The refrigerator has cheese, ham, condiments, milk, hard boiled eggs to start (once the eggs are gone, they are gone; although, I think I saw frozen hard boiled eggs just before we started searching for a cafe), peanut butter, almond butter and whatever else we can fit in the 2.7cf refrigerator.

We also carry a 12v cooler to put things in that don't need to be super cold, such as fruit, lettuce, spinach, carrots, celery, bread and beverage cans that will hold the cold for awhile. We turn it off at night as it is a real power drain. Great seat, as our dogs have the couch.

Regarding the electric stove, we considered it and put it back on the shelf. A butane stove is not much more expensive, and I agree it is a better option.

I hope everyone realizes this works for us and this is not a lecture...
radin2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #23

You can buy packaged, peeled hard boiled eggs at most truckstops in the same deli cabinet that has pre-made sandwiches. You can also buy a giant stack at Costco, but unless you're making egg salad for 20 people, I don't think that would work in your fridge.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #24

I think you guys are as close to fulltiming in an SMB as we get here on the forums.I find it interesting how you do without what most here think of as necessary.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #25

We really aren't into hard boiled eggs; take 6 at most. The Costco reference made us think of watching sea turtles on the nature channel. Open up our refrigerator and out they fall...

Prefer cafes like Love Muffin in Moab, where you can use your phone or wifi. At Kodachrome Basin, even our radio was "no service." Navigation did work, but you have to have a good set of maps.

Has anyone taken the dirt/gravel road to or from route 89 to Kodachrome? It cuts off a huge amount of miles and appears to be a decent road at least near Kodachrome. We didn't try it due to the detour, now main road with 25 mph speed limit and no night driving, on 89 south of Page, AZ. They may have lifted the restrictions.

Traveling in November ofter means campground closures and turned off water. In Canyonlands, only one bathroom was open and it had "sink" water. So we carry plenty of potable water, store bought after awhile.

If we went full time, we would get a hightop, extended van. Nissan does not offer the latter. We are always glad to get home, marvel at the vast space of our small home, and get cooking.
radin2son is offline   Reply With Quote