Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2021, 07:44 AM   #1

Rear Axle Questions Help

This may be covered in here some where and if so please point me to that post. My rig is a 2002 E350 SD EB 7.3 Diesel. I have the semi float D 60 . I do not know when it could fail snap an axle ect... I want to go to a full Detroit locker because I want to eliminate failure points air and electric lockers can have. I am looking to switch to Full floater D 60, 70 or even Sterling for this reason. I want to know which years may be a direct swap. Keep in mind I have 4.30 Ratio and it is the single ABS wiring. I replaced a broken ear on the factory posi and now found another so time to swap! I have thought of measuring leaf pad width but I know people here can shorten my search Thanks.

Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #2

If you have 4x4, a Sterling axle pre RSC (something like 2011 in the F-series) would be easiest. You'd still gave to weld on new spring perches and shock mounts. This would let you ditch the rear wheel adapters.

If you have a 2WD. You'd want a '99-'01 Wagon axle if you need to maintain the same width. Then swap ring and pinion gears. Or if you want a wide-track rear (which I prefer) you can use a '99-'07 SRW cutaway axle with the rear fuel-tank option (midship tank cutaways also got the semi-float axle). Again, a gear ratio change would be needed since they only came with 4.10.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:28 AM   #3

Running a full time locker on the street may prove problematic. I think you will find it pretty harsh.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #4

Chevy Express vans have mechanical lockers (G70 options). Seems to be fine as long as you aren’t in snow or ice, because it locks up abruptly and makes the high-traction wheel break loose too. And stomping on the throttle with one wheel off the ground often results in blowing it up.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:17 AM   #5

[QUOTE=carringb;296125]If you have 4x4, a Sterling axle pre RSC (something like 2011 in the F-series) would be easiest. You'd still gave to weld on new spring perches and shock mounts. This would let you ditch the rear wheel adapters.

If you have a 2WD. You'd want a '99-'01 Wagon axle if you need to maintain the same width. Then swap ring and pinion gears.

Thanks Carringb. To narrow the search...This is a 2002 2wd converted to 4x4 with 4.30 ratio of which I love in the P.S. 7.3.
It has the semi float recently regeared to 4.30. I run 17" 8x6.5 wheels the front axle was converted to 8x6.5. Therefore my rear is standard width.

1) As far as finding a rear full float you say a 99-01 van and my 4.30 ring & pinion will work in it? If so this would be best not as strong as Sterling but better than semi.

2) If I go Sterling you say pre RSC ? What is RSC.

3) F series Sterling Pre RSC you say 2011 and before would require welding perches to correct width (not an issue).

4)Did Sterling have 4.30 ratio & did they have single anti lock brake set up or was it dual outer hub type?

Thanks just trying to get into a non air applied locker. As far as lockers on the street, my crawler has them all around so I am use to the behavior and still prefer them as they are mostly indestructible.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post

RSC=roll stability control..It uses separate brake lines to each rear wheel and maybe some other ABS stuff that I'm not an expert on......

Quite common on 2008+, may have been on some vans a year or two earlier, but not sure. My 2008 passenger van has RSC and a FF rear axle.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #7

Thanks B W.
If there is a pigtail (wiring) from the axle housing for RSC it should not matter because there is no wiring on the van to hook up to the cpu, so it should not matter right? You could basically cut the wire at the axle sensors and discard them?? The only time this would matter is if this was the other way around. The van cpu had a connector therefore requiring an input signal from the independent axle sensors of each wheel, and not finding them would trigger a code. Correct me if I am wrong??
Old 05-30-2021, 03:49 PM   #8

I actually have no idea...but I'm sure carringB knows these details.

I think the Non-RSC axles have one brake line that Tees at the pumpkin and goes to each wheel, and the RSC has dedicated lines for each wheel. I'm not at all familiar with the ABS differences......but when one of the experts chimes in here we can all get educated.

The RSC works by applying brake pressure to each wheel individually when the body control module (or whatever it's called these days) detects instability that may lead to a roll-over, like the van getting sideways, etc.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:20 AM   #9

Get a 2012+ Sterling Axle with a factory ford E-Locker - they come with 4.30 gears from the gasser trucks.

To restore ABS -- add a tone ring to the output flange of your transfer case that has the correct amount of teeth to restore your ABS function. Then mount the sensor to read the pulses off that ring.

The tone ring in the pumpkin has 120 pulses/revolution -- so you'll need a output tone ring with approx 120/4.3 ~= 28 teeth.

IMO -- you'll spend less money adapting your ABS than you will buying new gears and an e-locker for the older axle and getting them installed.
winnievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
1) As far as finding a rear full float you say a 99-01 van and my 4.30 ring & pinion will work in it? If so this would be best not as strong as Sterling but better than semi.

3) F series Sterling Pre RSC you say 2011 and before would require welding perches to correct width (not an issue).

4)Did Sterling have 4.30 ratio & did they have single anti lock brake set up or was it dual outer hub type?.
1) The ‘99-‘01 E350 extended wagons came with a Dana 70 housing so when you swap to 4.30 gears, you can swap the carrier too and upgrade to 10.5” gears. The cargo vans and regular length wagons mostly got the Dana 60.

2) RSC = roll stability control. The issue is these axles don’t have the center ABS ring which your van needs for ABS and brake proportioning.

3) the F-series has a narrower framer hence needing to move spring perches outboard. Also F-series uses staggered shocks (you could change the van to staggered upper mounts instead)

4) Yes, 4.30 was an available ratio. As long as you get a pre-RSC axle the abs will be compatible. Ford went RSC in the pickups long after the vans. And F250 only initially then F350. I don’t think duallies got it until 2014.
carringb is offline   Reply With Quote