Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #1

Rear brakes and freeing park brake

My park brake is very stiff and doesn't operate so well. I believe the cables are ok but the park brake hardware is rusted up.

I have new calipers and rotors (Dana 60 semi float SRW) on hand. Ironically the Motorcraft rotors are made in China. I am pretty comfortable with replacing the rotors and calipers.

My question is: on the semi float axle, how much access do you have behind the axle shaft hub face to the park brake shoes/hardware with the axle shaft still in place?

The Ford shop manual says - to service the park brake shoes etc - to remove the hub on the FF, but on the semi float you can either remove the axle or not..... And removing it requires you remove the diff cover and drop the spider gear shaft. I just put my 2nd load of $100 of oil into the diff, don't really want to do that a 3rd time.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #2

Re: Rear brakes and freeing park brake

Rotors should just slide off once you remove the calipers. The parking brake shoes actuate against the inside of the rotor.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Rotors should just slide off once you remove the calipers. The parking brake shoes actuate against the inside of the rotor.
I understand that, but if I want to remove the park brake shoes or replace the springs etc, can I get in to access all of it with the axle in place? Or does the face of the axle block access to everything inside of the linings?

Old 09-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #4

Yes, all of the parking brake hardware is accessible when you pull the rotor. Not axle disassembly required. At least on the Full-soat. I admit I've never worked on the semi-float. The brake hardware is common between the axles though.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Yes, all of the parking brake hardware is accessible when you pull the rotor. Not axle disassembly required. At least on the Full-soat. I admit I've never worked on the semi-float. The brake hardware is common between the axles though.
The Ford manual says to access the park brake to remove the hub (and not the axle) on the full float. Did you remove the hub? If so, that would imply on the semi float you need to remove the axle, because the hub is integral with the axle on the semi float.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
The Ford manual says to access the park brake to remove the hub (and not the axle) on the full float. Did you remove the hub? If so, that would imply on the semi float you need to remove the axle, because the hub is integral with the axle on the semi float.

Yeah, i guess it just depends how much you need access too. For a full R&R it is necessary to pull the hub. But for adjustments and lubing the cable (and adjuster), it isn't necessary.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #7

Thanks