Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2021, 06:41 PM   #1

Rear door hinge pin/ Aluminess Tire Carrier/ 2006 E350

So I am preparing to head to Bend OR for 2021 Descend on Bend. Doing the little things on my van that I have been putting off for awhile. My Aluminess tire carrier has been squeaking at the upper rear door hinge so I decided to check it out and noticed that there was a lot of movement. I figured easy fix and pulled out appropriate allen wrench and driver. Started tightening it down and snap. The top end/ hex head of the hinge pin sheared off after a 1/3rd turn. I guess I can deal with having the spare off the carrier for the trip but I am worried the pin will work its way loose and then my rear door... I would like to fix this before leaving. The pin was supplied by aluminess with the kit. Is this pin longer than the stock pin to allow for the thickness of the provided hinge strap? Hoping I can run down to the parts store and get a Ford replacement pin. I am going to be on the road Sept 2 AM and really need to be able to secure that door. Thanks so much for any help!

darkstar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:10 PM   #2

So that pin is a pretty non standard piece of hardware. It is a same size thread shoulder bolt. The total length of the bolt below the head is ~3.25" and the length of the actual hinge is ~2.75". It's a 3/8" Dia Bolt.

If you can source out a partially threaded bolt so you are not mashing thread into your hinge metal, that would do until you can get one from aluminess. Aluminess is super cool about replacement hardware.

You need something 3.25"-3.5" long with partial threading that would still allow you to get the nut tightened down. Partially threaded bolts have varying lengths of threading. So you gotta find one that simply works. Stainless is what you need, but a steel bolt would get you through until you find a suitable one.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:43 AM   #3

It does. I was able to get the Dorman replacement pin in. No bushings as I do not want to pull the lower hinge pin to remove the whole door. It will get me through this road trip. Thanks for the response.
darkstar66 is offline   Reply With Quote